Worship with our Fathers (Tim Bayly)

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Books Mentioned by Pastor Tim Bayly in Spirit&Truth Talk

These are the books by @tbbayly’s fathers in the faith mentioned in the talk, these are in the order they were given:

1. The Gospel Blimp by Joseph Bayly
  2. The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes by Kenneth N. Taylor
  3. The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter
  4. The Autobiography of Richard Baxter, here’s an alternate link
  5. Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  6. Confessions by Augustine of Hippo
  7. The Christian Mind: How Should a Christian Think? by Harry Blamires
  8. The Thing by G.K. Chesterton, particularly the Essay, “The Drift from Domesticity“
  9. What’s Wrong with the World by G.K. Chesterton
  10. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: The First Forty Years, 1899-1939 by Iain H. Murray
  11. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: The Fight of Faith, 1939-1981 by Iain H. Murray
  12. Calvin’s Company of Pastors: Pastoral Care and the Emerging Reformed Church, 1536-1609 by Scott M. Manetsch
  13. Solzhenitsyn: A Biography by Michael Scammell (this might be wrong, I’ll fix it if someone knows the correct one)
  14. Martin Luther’s “Instruction to Parish Visitors” found in Volume 40 of Luther’s work, Pastor Bayly said there is much else helpful in that volume as well.
  15. A Commentary on St. Paul’s Epistle to the Galatians by Martin Luther, the translation by Philip S. Watson, here’s the WorldCat entry for it.
  16. Attack upon Christendom by Søren Kierkegaard
  17. Discourse concerning Evangelical Love, Church Peace, and Unity by John Owen
  18. Richard Baxter’s Paraphrase of the New Testament
  19. A Review of Ecclesiastical History, so far as it concerns the progress, declensions and revivals of evangelical doctrines and practice; with a brief account of the spirit and methods by which vital and experimental religion have been opposed in all ages of the church by John Newton (it’s free on Google Books)
  20. John Calvin’s Sermons on 1 Timothy
  21. John Calvin’s Sermons on Titus
  22. Douglas Moo’s Commentary on Romans (he’s constantly trimming the edges of truth, but it is helpful. Use primarily dead commentators)
  23. John Calvin’s Commentaries
  24. “Liturgical Portions of the Genevan Service Book” by W.D. Maxwell
  25. Attack upon Christendom by Søren Kierkegaard
  26. The Works of Jonathan Edwards 2 Volume Set from Banner of Truth
2 Likes

This is a work of supererogation that will accrue to Sanityville’s treasury of merit, dear brother. Thank you, and love,

6 Likes

hahaha, is there a Sanityville purgatory that I’ll be getting out of? :slight_smile:

My pleasure. You have been a father in the faith to me; it’s an act of gratitude (1 Timothy 5:4).

4 Likes

And here I am just listening passively.

2 Likes

Not at all. You’ve done superb work here and I have been grateful for it again and again. You’re the very picture of equanimity. Aspire…

1 Like

Thank you, Pastor Tim.

2 Likes