Books Mentioned by Pastor Tim Bayly in Spirit & Truth Talk

I found the majority of them, but I’m having trouble with a few of them…

1. “The Autobiography of Richard Baxter,” would that be the version also titled “Richard Baxter, Puritan Man of Letters” edited by N. H. Keeble?
  2. Martin Luther’s “Instruction to Parish Visitors.”
  3. Luther book on church and ministry that was part of a set (maybe the same as one above?).
  4. Luther’s Commentary on Galatians, per his suggestion, I consulted the BaylyBlog archives to find the particular good translation of it and I think I found it, the one by Watson?
  5. “Liturgical Portions of the Genevan Service Book” is it by W.D. Maxwell?

Thank you!

1 Like

I can confirm that you’ve got the right version of Luther’s commentary on Galatians. I’m not sure about the others.

1 Like
  1. “The Autobiography of Richard Baxter,” would that be the version also titled “Richard Baxter, Puritan Man of Letters” edited by N. H. Keeble?

No. Autobiography. This is one I read.

1. Martin Luther’s “Instruction to Parish Visitors.”

In volume 40 of Luther’s Works. Much else helpful.

1. Luther book on church and ministry that was part of a set (maybe the same as one above?).

Yes, same volume.

1. Luther’s Commentary on Galatians, per his suggestion, I consulted the BaylyBlog archives to find the particular good translation of it and I think I found it, the one by Watson?

Yup, you found it.

1. “Liturgical Portions of the Genevan Service Book” is it by W.D. Maxwell?

Yup, this. Hard to find used. Get it when can.

Love,

2 Likes

The original recording has now been edited to remove this section, as it worked better in person. @kylegrindberg, now that you have a completed list, would you mind sharing it here?

For those who missed it, here’s the SV topic on the conference session that goes along with this list of recommended books, and here’s the actual audio:

1 Like

Found a few places to purchase for not too much coin:

3 Likes

Thank you, Pastor Bayly!

I will post it here on my post, and on that the SV topic!

1 Like

So I’m currently compiling the list, and I’m not sure which biography of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn you’re referring to, @tbbayly? I found this on BaylyBlog, I’m assuming this is it?

Michael Scammell has written the definitive biography, Solzhenitsyn: A Biography, (New York: Norton & Co.; 1984

No, I read it thirty or so years ago, so check and see what’s come out since. But avoid bios that are either hagiography or condescension. Love,

1 Like

@tbbayly Another question, you mentioned a work by Kierkegaard, was it, Attack upon Christendom by Søren Kierkegaard or Provocations: Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard by Søren Kierkegaard ?

Yes. A couple gems that perfectly apply to the Reformed church today:

We all know what it is to play warfare in mock battle, that it means to imitate everything just as it is in war. The troops are drawn up, they march into the field, seriousness is evident in every eye, but also courage and enthusiasm, the orderlies rush back and forth intrepidly, the commander’s voice is heard, the signals, the battle cry, the volley of musketry, the thunder of cannon—everything exactly as it is in war, lacking only one thing…the danger.

So also it is with playing Christianity, that is, imitating Christian preaching in such a way that everything, absolutely everything is included in as deceptive a form as possible—only one thing is lacking…the danger.

Beware therefore of them that like to walk in long robes! According to Christ (Who surely must know best about the way, since he is the Way) the gate is straight, the way is narrow—and few there be that find it. And what perhaps most of all has brought it about that the number of these few is so small, smaller proportionately with every century, is the monstrous illusion which official Christianity has conjured up. Persecution, maltreatment, bloodshedding, has by no means done such injury, no, it has been inestimably beneficial in comparison with the radical damage done by official Christianity, which is designed to serve human indolence, mediocrity, by making men believe that indolence, mediocrity and enjoyment of life is Christianity.

Do away with official Christianity, let persecution come—that very instant Christianity again exists.

Attack Upon “Christendom", Soren Kierkegaard; 1944, Princeton University Press.

2 Likes

These are in order as given in talk:

1. The Gospel Blimp by Joseph Bayly
  2. The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes by Kenneth N. Taylor
  3. The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter
  4. The Autobiography of Richard Baxter, here’s an alternate link
  5. Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  6. Confessions by Augustine of Hippo
  7. The Christian Mind: How Should a Christian Think? by Harry Blamires
  8. The Thing by G.K. Chesterton, particularly the Essay, “The Drift from Domesticity“
  9. What’s Wrong with the World by G.K. Chesterton
  10. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: The First Forty Years, 1899-1939 by Iain H. Murray
  11. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: The Fight of Faith, 1939-1981 by Iain H. Murray
  12. Calvin’s Company of Pastors: Pastoral Care and the Emerging Reformed Church, 1536-1609 by Scott M. Manetsch
  13. Solzhenitsyn: A Biography by Michael Scammell (this might be wrong)
  14. Martin Luther’s “Instruction to Parish Visitors” found in Volume 40 of Luther’s work, Pastor Bayly said there is much else helpful in that volume as well.
  15. A Commentary on St. Paul’s Epistle to the Galatians by Martin Luther, the translation by Philip S. Watson, here’s the WorldCat entry.
  16. Attack upon Christendom by Søren Kierkegaard
  17. Discourse concerning Evangelical Love, Church Peace, and Unity by John Owen
  18. Richard Baxter’s Paraphrase of the New Testament
  19. A Review of Ecclesiastical History, so far as it concerns the progress, declensions and revivals of evangelical doctrines and practice; with a brief account of the spirit and methods by which vital and experimental religion have been opposed in all ages of the church by John Newton (it’s free on Google Books)
  20. John Calvin’s Sermons on 1 Timothy
  21. John Calvin’s Sermons on Titus
  22. Douglas Moo’s Commentary on Romans (he’s constantly trimming the edges of truth, but it is helpful. Use primarily dead commentators)
  23. John Calvin’s Commentaries
  24. “Liturgical Portions of the Genevan Service Book” by W.D. Maxwell
  25. Attack upon Christendom by Søren Kierkegaard
  26. The Works of Jonathan Edwards 2 Volume Set from Banner of Truth
4 Likes