Wheaton College & President Buswell: Billy Graham & Wheaton Anthropology

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

3 Likes

This is important history to recover. I hope people are reading.
Thank you.

4 Likes

The story is important and compelling. Nevertheless, the views presented here on anthropology deserve some comment. It is comforting to know that Grigolia’s PhD in anthropology was from Penn. He did study at the University of Berlin, though, where anthropology at the time was located in the “Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Anthropology.” (Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes are the predecessors of what is now called Max Planck Institutes.) The Berlin Institute of Anthropology was a hotbed of German racism. Its “scientists” laid the groundwork for the Nazi ideology of the 1930s and 1940s, and some members were involved in racist Nazi war crimes. Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut für Anthropologie, menschliche Erblehre und Eugenik | Kolonialismus begegnen. Seems like Grigolia got away from there early enough. In contrast, anthropology at Penn was strongly influenced by Franz Boas, an immigrant from Germany and founder of an non-racist version of anthropology. It seems a bit odd to me to call anthropology the social science dealing with racism. That title should clearly go to economics. Adam Smith, in the Wealth of Nations and in Lectures on Jurisprudence argued that all men are fundamentally equal and that differences in behavior, learning etc. are the result of both culture and social institutions. One of the greatest 19th century economists, John S. Mill, strongly and actively supported the fight against racism and slavery in the UK at his time, when political economists and Biblical literalists were in a coalition against racist and pro-slavery intellectuals such as Thomas Carlyle. See David Levy’s paper on the origin of the term “Dismal Science” which was coined by Carlyle to denigrate political economy. https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/F318F295973674DABD1044F68B393E7B/S1053837200006714a.pdf/how_the_dismal_science_got_its_name_debating_racial_quackery.pdf

4 Likes

No “nevertheless.”

To my knowledge, Grigolia did not study Anthropology at Berlin. His degree at Berlin was, I believe, medical, leading to his being hired to do pathology at a Paris hospital while studying at the Sorbonne. Anthropology came later. Love,

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bayly’s daily

Yesterday was contacted by and talked with a recent Wheaton grad who mentioned in passing that Wheaton prez Rev. Dr. Phil Ryken of the Presbyterian Church in America gives his campus gathering the Lord’s supper every month. This is ecclesiastical and Biblical anarchy. You don’t know why this horrifies Biblical Christians? It’s quite simple. Read “Church Reformed” Amazon.com

3 Likes

Ryken’s campus communion proves our problem isn’t CRT or BLM or CDC’s vaccines/masks or DEI or too few post-mils or guvment. What’s destroying souls is inside the Church where hirelings betray our Lord’s sheep. Forget all reforms outside church until discipline is restored inside

4 Likes

Told there’s no fencing of Table @ Wheaton’s monthly campus communion services. Well, of course not. The essence of sacramentalism is denying the danger and removing the warning. Someone should file charges against Phil, but I hear his presbytery gave him permission. #nofearofGod

1 Like

Say one female RA at Wheaton fornicated w/a professor, conceived, and aborted the child. Would Phil fire the prof? Would Phil continue to serve the RA the Lord’s supper each month? Would he respond, “How on earth am I to know?” Does he believe anyone got sick or died in Corinth?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bayly’s daily