Top 3 Lesser Known Books

Conversation stimulater:

Name three of your favorite “lesser known” books that you have read and why you chose them.

1 Like

Try to Remember by Paul R. McHugh, which I read before I found out he has opposing gender reassignment since the 70’s. I read it on the recommendation of a friend (Kamilla). If you want to understand modern psychiatric and psychological care from the inside, and the internal battle raging in the field, as well as the real problem with Freudian ideas and how there isn’t such a thing as multiple personality disorder, how false memories are formed, and the damage they can do, this is the book to read. Also, if you want to know why PTSD is so common and what to do about it. Oh, and why the DSM is a joke. Can’t recommend this highly enough. I think every pastor should read it.

God Is Red by Liao Yiwu, on the recommendation of my dad. A book about Communist repression of Christianity in China, written by a non-Christian who had already written about repression of other groups under the regime. Very helpful in thinking about living under serious persecution. Also quite moving.

The Provincial Letters by Blaise Pascal (starts on page 340 at the linked version) on the recommendation of my dad. Not only will you read a good defense of ridicule. You will see it quite effectively used against types of reasoning and justification of things that are still common today and tempting to each of us.

2 Likes

I don’t read as widely as I ought so I don’t have much to offer.

People of the Promise: A Mere Protestant Ecclesiology A stimulating series of essays on protestant ecclesiology that covers a wide swath of topics in that field. Free to read on Kindle Unlimited if you have it (how I found it).

The Protector Compelling and often times devotional bio of Oliver Cromwell. Recommended by a friend.

The Beauty of God Essays from a Weaton conference on the arts. Required reading for a class on took on the Arts in Western Culture. Really hit or miss - but when it hits, it hits.

1 Like

I can’t say these are necessarily top three, but hopefully they are interesting to someone.

Hammer of God - Bo Giertz. This is a Swedish novel about Lutherans as they struggle to accept the implications of God’s free gift of His death and our salvation during various difficult and tempting times in history, ending in WW2 (it was published in the 40s.)

Mythical Man-Month - Fred Brooks. This is fairly well known in the software field but is generally applicable. It’s essentially a humanist treatise on why we cannot complete what we set out to do. And it has some good stories and principles for being effective in your vocation.

Any of the Wodehouse omnibi containing his Mulliner stories. Wodehouse is well known, but if he were better read, I think more of the people I encounter would be good-humored and content!

3 Likes