Sports for 500, anyone?

Ah, cricket. Did you see Australia’s test against Sri Lanka? Decisive victory. Nice to see after Australia got soundly beaten by India in the previous test.

As for the Big Bash (name of the Australian T20 league), the Brisbane Heat women won their league, but the men’s team is still near the bottom. Crazy, considering the talent they’ve got.

Only recently started watching due to my son’s near obsession with the game. Awesome.

Any other people living in Australia in here?

Well it’s odd being in the position of wishing you were right, Alex. Lol.

It was an insurance bet. If they lost, I’d be sad for a few hours but at least I’d look smart on Sanityville.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Sports and the Lord’s Day

A post was split to a new topic: Anyone up for a little March Madness?

One of the earliest mentions of baseball in print was by Jane Austen in Northanger Abbey. This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge of such things.

3 Likes

Well, I am a New Zealander living in the UK …

1 Like

@jacob.mentzel

Excited? I had to ask in light of your Indiana-NBA speech on the Bookening. What do you Hoosiers think of this guy?

As a Kentuckian (who DESPISES kitty-cat basketball) I always held Coach Knight in low regard. Seemed like a “bad dude” to me. But I’ve known Hoosiers who just love the guy and we had an interim pastor who was from Indiana (back in the 90s) who claimed Knight was a “strong Christian.” Just curious.

Bob Knight was one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time, period, end of story. Anyone who says different is an idiot. He had serious character defects that led him to where he is today. A Hoosier’s relationship to him is complicated. Some people are over him. Some think they are and today will show them different. I don’t know anybody that still straight up adores him. We’ll be watching. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Jake first. He’s Authority on all things Hoosier basketball.

Knight was a great coach. Would have loved to have my sons coached by him, bullying and foul-mouthed as he was. His techniques were authority and submission and discipline. Each is now extinct. My wife and I have always disagreed about Knight, but it’s stayed a lovers’ quarrel.

The sad fact is that it will not be Knight at the game today. He’s deep into his dotage and will barely know where he is and what it means. The real Knight would never have done this and that shows his sins, not his strengths. Really, he was a lot like President Trump, as I think about it. Much that is repulsive, much that is very helpful.

5 Likes

I’ll never forget the day Knight was fired. I was in a daze, and drove around campus for a couple of hours, ending up at Tim & Mary Lee’s home. Still miss seeing him in the hall and was surprised when I heard his entrance announced at last weekend’s game. (I was a few newspapers behind in my reading.) I had a lump in my throat. He was a great coach and has not been equaled since.

1 Like

Yes!

It certainly was our year!

C H I E F S ! ! !

1 Like