Who trembles at My Word (2)

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

2 Likes

When I was doing lay preaching, some years ago, I realised that I appreciated it when, on occasion, I got sharp disagreement from some people. Meaning, either I’d challenged them on something - or indeed, I’d got something wrong, and it was time for iron to sharpen iron. The last thing I wanted in terms of feedback was a vapid ‘nice message, Ross’ which did make me wonder if they’d been listening at all!

2 Likes

I enjoyed these two posts. Fortunately my Pastor does not trim the edges. I have wondered about the value of reviewing his sermons as part of my daily devotions, not as an examination for error, but because it is God’s Word declared to me. I have been a daily chapter-by-chapter Bible reader and memorizer for a long long time. But I have not ever taken time to review my notes of a Pastor’s sermon as an exercise. What are your thoughts? Are the Bereans only to be taken as an investigative body, or is there a non-polemic benefit to their actions?

2 Likes

Yes, it would be a wonderful discipline. You are to be commended for your memorization, dear brother. Love,

This is good advice at the end for everyone, not just pastors. Earlier today, I was answering a Christian woman on Twitter who was proclaiming her long-agodivorce and remarriage, with lots of encouragement in the comments, by quoting Matt 5. I think I replied “Very hard–but that’s what it says”. It would maybe have been better to just say, “That’s what it says.”

2 Likes