Washington becomes the first state to legalize composting of humans

I have’t read the article, but… isn’t burying somebody just a slow composting method? Don’t buried bodies turn into soil?

1 Like

I work for a department that regulates such things. As I understand it, you cannot bury a body on residential property, they are required to be buried in a registered cemetery or cremated. I had a friend who’s son was still-born. They wanted to bury his body on their property, but the hospital wouldn’t give them possession of the body because of the regulations. I think he had to have it cremated, but don’t recall. I think ground water contamination was something to do with the regulation, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

They do. According to the article it can be done in about six weeks. Then you can have the soil to do what you want with it. At least one lady was going to fertilize her garden…

I’m pretty sure mad cow disease and variants in other species can be caused by eating your own species. A human form called Kuru used to be common among cannibals in PNG.

Overall, seems like a bad idea. I still plan to be buried in east Tennessee.

I bet the same people who are against GMOs are in favor of growing corn in your dad’s remains.

3 Likes

How do they deal with family ranch cemeteries and similar? I know we’re not Tennessee, but there must be dozens of ranches around our state that have had family plots for a century or more.

1 Like

Good question. I believe it’s regulated through zoning authority. Those cemeteries predate those regulation and aren’t on zoned land.

Add this to weird cremation stories.

I gotta wonder if “the authorities” were made aware that the ashes of a dead man were being sold and shipped across the Atlantic.