Verse by verse Bible commentaries?

I’m looking for a commentary set recommendation, and if you’ll bear with me, I have some very particular things I’m looking for. When I use a commentary it is usually during family or personal worship when we have a question about something very specific from a verse, where I can refer to it quickly to get some wisdom without holding up devotions too much. My go to is John Gill, but I’m looking to find expand, as there are plenty times where Gill isn’t super.

What I’m looking for ideally is a lot like Gill. Covering the entire (or nearly entire) Bible, and more comprehensive than a study Bible. Verse by verse, or even phrase by phrase. I sometimes refer to Calvin or Matthew Henry, but they way they are structured with commentary on chunks rather than verses, it takes too long to skim the pages on the passage to figure out if they address our question to look it up on the fly.

Anyway, if there’s anything solid out there like this, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

1 Like

Have you seen Matthew Poole’s commentary?

3 Likes

Lots of people find Charles Spurgeon’s Commenting and Commentaries very helpful in looking through older commentaries (which seems to be what you are looking for).

Also, I strongly second Matthew Poole, he’s excellent.

2 Likes

Thank you both very much, Poole does look like what I’m looking for.

3 Likes