The Roots of Wokeness

Here’s a concise summary of what is wrong with Critical Theory, a worldview that is completely incompatible with Christianity.

This author’s point of view, however, also reveals what is problematic with the root of classical liberalism, which defines freedom in terms of being free to be and do whatever one wants as long as one does not violate the natural rights of anyone else, hence his positive take on the strides of the gay and transgender movements in the 21st century. Judeo-Christian tradition and even Ancient Greek philosophy defined freedom in terms of something entirely different: removing the obstacles that prevented one from growing in virtue, or as we would see it, more like Christ Himself.

4 Likes

Sullivan has been an influential journalist for about 20 or 25 years. He was a leading voice for the legalization of gay marriage. He helped to create the world we now live in. To see this world turn against him now, with no gratitude, is fascinating. Perhaps the persecution he and other left wing dissenters will suffer from Wokedom will inspire genuine repentance?

As Christians and as traditionalists, we should realize that the debate going on here, if you could dignify it by calling it a debate, is a battle between different factions of the left wing. It is also a sign that genuine traditional ideas are being excluded from the public square. If Andrew Sullivan is now “problematic,” then Sanityville does not register at all.

The liberal project is collapsing. It was never sustainable in the first place. Sullivan can defend it all he wants, but he is doomed to fail. In the end, rebellion against God never works. Sullivan is an interesting writer, but I am not invested in his success. Both liberalism and wokeness are sinking ships.

2 Likes

As the democratic primaries have shown, there are few liberals left. Neo-Marxist leftism has taken over and is the monster our universities created while Christians sat silent and wrote tuition checks. I’m sure none of the youths burning Seattle, Portland, and other cities were ever required to read George Orwell’s Animal Farm or 1984. Whenever I hear their chants, it sounds to me like, “Four legs good, two legs baaaaaaad.”

1 Like

Sullivan’s essay, which I found quite thought-provoking, reminds me of something called The Law of Unintended Consequences. If the first wave of feminism, which gave women the vote, led to the second wave, of abortion and radical feminism; then the second wave has created several things it didn’t intend to either. Sullivan, having argued for ‘freedom’, has now realised that that freedom is lining up to destroy him as well if he steps too out of line.

I also find myself looking at what Francis Schaeffer wrote fifty years ago about the death of absolutes. It rings all too true.

3 Likes