The meaning of life

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

2 Likes

This was helpful. I had a long discussion with a Christian friend in a doctoral program in Philosophy in an effort to get him to embrace presuppositional apologetics (I had him read Always Ready). We had a long rabbit trail about whether there was really any other self-consistent Philosophy than total skepticism or Christianity.

Also my son got confused in Kindergarten because he thought his teacher made a mistake by saying “To glorify God and enjoy him forever.” He’d always been taught that it’s by.

Christian Hedonism Forever,

3 Likes

Jake is far too good at being duplicitous to be trusted as a pastor. :smiley: Great episode. Thanks.

Piper has indeed been so helpful here. I remember him arguing that if God was about making much of us, then God would be an idolater. My mind was blown.

“God’s love for us is not mainly his making much of us, but his giving us the ability to enjoy making much of him forever. In other words, God’s love for us keeps God at the center. God’s love for us exalts his value and our satisfaction in it. If God’s love made us central and focused on our value, it would distract us from what is most precious — namely, himself. Love labors and suffers to enthrall us with what is infinitely and eternally satisfying: God. Therefore, God’s love labors and suffers to break our bondage to the idol of self and focus our affections on the treasure of God.” - source

9 Likes

Got a chance to listen to this during work today. This was great, and so helpful, especially the two Devil’s Advocate sections, and the discussion of them. Thanks for the good episode, and all the rest of the Sound of Sanity you’ve done.

6 Likes

It is our pleasure. :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:

2 Likes

Ben on the folly of trusting your own reason because you don’t see anything else to do:

But that’s not an explanation. That’s like, “The only thing in the fridge is this rotten turkey, so I have to eat it or I’ll starve”! [31:35]

Gets my vote for best analogy of the episode.

5 Likes

I enjoy Piper (isn’t enjoying what he’s all about?) but I think he stops short by grounding God’s love in his glory. (It’s not as explicit in the above quote, but that’s how I understand his writings). While I think he is getting at truth, I think Piper would be more accurate to ground God’s glory in his love, i.e. you bring glory/glorify someone you love. How does that work in God? Hello, doctrine of the Trinity!

2 Likes