The Long Goodbye - Sandy Fultz

New Warhorn Media post by Katie Walker:

4 Likes

My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimerā€™s at 57. Sheā€™s now 65 and in a skilled nursing facility. She fell at home in January and broke her hip. Surgery repaired it but she couldnā€™t rehab. ā€œMove your left footā€ and the right arm went up. Sheā€™s confined to a Broda chair or bed.

Caregiving at home was the hardest thing Iā€™ve ever done. Going to visit her every day and watching her die is a close second.

Many people have said to me how unfair this is. I settled the issues of Godā€™s sovereignty and providence a long time ago. The Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 1 is a staple. The question or statement of fairness has given me many opportunities to share the comfort of the gospel.

The accompanying grief is a strange emotion with sometimes turbulent ebbs and flows. One day I got out cheese for my bologna sandwich and burst into tears. You see, Iā€™d make grilled cheese sandwiches for Linda and me after church on Sundayā€™s. No more. Sheā€™s not home. Wave after wave of emotion crashed over me. It was completely unexpected.

Pastors, donā€™t forget the caregiver. Caregivers, from those Iā€™ve talked to, donā€™t know how to care for themselves. If thereā€™s no family around, engage the church to offer respite, meals and other help. Pastor Dave taught me pickleball. Thanks, pastor!

Donā€™t forget the family either. My three children are grieving in their own unique and difficult ways.

The ā€˜how are you doingā€™ question Iā€™ve found to be generally useless. I know people are trying to be polite and caring, but they donā€™t want to hear about my blubbering over a slice of cheese or how dreadfully lonely I am or how some visits rip the heart out when she tells me that she knows I am cheating on her. Sheā€™s a short, heavy woman in a red dress and there are pictures of us in a bar drinking together. Now from where this comes, who knows. Weā€™ve had 42 years of fidelity and donā€™t drink! Ask probing questions and just listen. Donā€™t be Jobā€™s friends.

I know finances is a sticky thing, but ask about them. Alzheimerā€™s is an expensive disease. Nursing homes cost north of $10k/month. When Linda as first diagnosed, I contacted an Elder Care attorney. He worked in concert with my Edward Jones financial advisor. Expensive, but hoping I live longer than the 64 I am, I should be in good financial shape.

Donā€™t forget wills, powers of attorney, et. al. This was part of the Elder Care package. But there are issues involve that need to be thought through.

If I were an author Iā€™d write a book, too. I hope these Cliff notesā€™ version of my experience helps a bit.

11 Likes