The Horde’s Anointed

(Ken Lamb) #1

“I want to stoke the fire I’m in the middle of right now about as much as I want to amputate my toes without anesthesia.” -Beth Moore

I’m pretty sure it’s not her toes that are causing her to sin.

Start with the tongue Beth.

#HowLongOhLord

But what was particularly interesting was seeing a self-declared complimentarian speak about creation order.

https://www.faithwire.com/2019/05/15/beth-moore-challenges-theologian-over-women-preachers-stance/

(John Trocke) #2

2012: “Farewell Rob Bell”
2019: “Out the door Beth Moore”

(Nathan Smith) #3

Where is her husband?

This is little different than Revoice. Either the law of the Lord is good or it isn’t. Either we love his law or we don’t.

This whole issue also touches on the issue of the Christian celebrity culture we have. She thinks she has the right to teach my wife - and me it seems - but has no accountability from me, from anyone I know, from any elder that I know. Its the wild, wild west around here.

Where is her husband?

(Jon Swerens) #4

I just came here to say that “The Horde’s Anointed” is a particularly fantastic headline.

(Ken Lamb) #5

I had hoped the title would have a little staying power, as a place to discuss unfortunately-popular hirelings.

(Josiah) #6

I really like the chiastic structure you got going on there

(Alistair Robertson) #7

I had a read of the article you linked to. As always, there are deep presuppositions behind every statement. One comment Moore makes that struck me as intriguing was:

“What I plead for is to grapple with the entire text from Mt 1 thru Rev 22 on every matter concerning women.”

Wouldn’t Gen 1 thru Rev 22 be more applicable?

I do understand that she’s a Baptist - sorry Baptists, you have a tendency to prioritise the New Testament to the exclusion of the Old. My opinion is that complementarianism is aided by concentrating on the New Testament in these matters (there’s more in there than Gen 1-3, and the male only Levitical priesthood), so maybe that is part of Moore’s problem.

Other comments about protecting power, etc, etc, seem just slanderous (or libelous - if we can call tweeting writing :slight_smile:) Sure, there is likely truth in any accusation, but people deserve better than an accusation without follow through.

(Valerie) #8

We should grapple with Scripture the way Jacob grappled with the angel of the Lord – to be blessed and bested by it. If we come refusing to bend to it, we will be broken by it.

(Nathan Smith) #9

Completely agree regarding her leaving out the OT. I mean, why? Statements like this show she shouldn’t be a teacher, man or woman.

Even so, God, in his infinite Mercy and understanding of is, his stubborn people, have us a prooftext in 1 Tim 2, which IS in the NT. She “understands” this in some other way. Some issues are difficult. Consider the IVF we’ve discussed recently. But this women teaching men issue is black and white.

(Ross Clark) #10

About Baptists and the OT - what I learnt was, “Live by the New Testament, but learn from the OT”. A fair approach? I would welcome feedback.

(Daniel Meyer) #11

Live by the New Testament, but learn from the OT

For the Old Testament, my philosophy’s more of, “Study how Jesus and the apostles treated the Old Testament and treat it that way too.” They did more than learn from it, it was their foundation. They understood that some things were abrogated and some things were changed; yet they made arguments from the Old Testament—they extracted principles from its case law—they joyfully quoted particular psalms as applicable to their current situations. Shouldn’t we too? What wealth is there!

(Zak Carter) #12

But that sounds hard. What if we just kept the bible verses that look good printed on coffee cups instead?

(Josiah) #13

If I hear Jeremiah 29:11 quoted out of context to an inmate again… sometimes it feels like half of my teaching in jail is just giving context to out of context snippets of Scripture.