The best predictor of happiness in America? Marriage

The article is interesting, but the paper more-so:

Here is it’s abstract:

Since 1972 the General Social Survey (GSS) has asked a representative sample of US adults “… [are] you …very happy, pretty happy, or not too happy?” Overall, the population is reasonably happy even after a mild recent decline. I focus on differences along standard socio demographic dimensions: age, race, gender, education, marital status income and geography. I also explore political and social differences. Being married is the most important differentiator with a 30-percentage point happy-unhappy gap over the unmarried. Income is also important, but Easterlin’s (1974) paradox applies: the rich are much happier than the poor at any moment, but income growth doesn’t matter. Education and racial differences are also consequential, though the black-white gap has narrowed substantially. Geographic, gender and age differences have been relatively unimportant, though old-age unhappiness may be emerging. Conservatives are distinctly happier than liberals as are people who trust others or the Federal government. All above differences survive control for other differences.

Lots to discuss here. I think it’s funny that Conservatives are happier, but so are people who trust the Federal government. Does this mean that the rarest of birds—a conservative that trusts the Federal gov—is super happy? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Ignorance is, indeed, a blissful state. :slight_smile: