Structured coming of age methods

One of the important insights I have gathered from studying sexuality is that becoming a man is both imitative and performative. Because of this, boys seem to benefit greatly from structured methods of becoming men: tests, milestones, rituals and the like.

This seems to be almost never talked about in Christian circles. The one very interesting and helpful exception is Vern Poythress, who has written up how he moved his boys into manhood through a system he dubbed the Bar Jeshua, drawing inspiration from the Jewish Bar Mitzvah:

I think the specifics of Poythress’ method are less helpful than the general idea and the detail he provides of how he went about it, since it is so academic, and neglects other manly pursuits. But it makes me wonder if anyone else has done anything like this—even if less formalized. What are you all doing, or have done, with your own sons?

5 Likes

I remember being fascinated by his idea as well.

I think there are parts of manhood that come earlier. Even if you have some sort of final milestone, don’t forget earlier ones. Giving my eldest son his first pocket knife and teaching him to use it safely and responsibly was a fun milestone, for example. Most of the things I’m thinking of require some level of trust/danger.

I’m looking forward to reading what other men have done here. Great question.

2 Likes

I’m picturing a huge bonfire in the deep heart of some ancient old growth forest in the dead of night. Illuminated by the hissing flames a father hands off Excalibur and a shield with the family crest to his 12 year old son. “Survive this next week on your own, and you will be a man… also here’s a GPS phone so your mother can call you.”

11 Likes

In scouting that was called the Order of the Arrow. No phones, no talking. We had a oath of silence. Overnight in the woods. Alone. Till the next day.

2 Likes

Really interested to see how others answer this!

We’ve got three boys right now, and the eldest is 8. Our goal is to add privileges and responsibilities over time. Here’s what we’ve done so far:

• age 4: can begin to use a steak knife at meals
  • age 5: chess set
  • age 6: given a hand saw and will be paid a nickel for each length of lumber sawn (firewood). When next boy turns six and gets the privilege of being paid to saw lumber, then the older one loses the privilege of getting paid to do it and it becomes an unpaid chore
  • age 7: library card and pocket knife
  • age 8: bow & arrows, will be paid for mowing portions of the yard
3 Likes

A fascinating article with a lot of practical wisdom in it. Thanks for posting it.

There’s another thing about this that I especially like. One problem we have in American “coming-of-age” expectations is that we actually have a weird stage in between the boy-to-man transition which, for lack of a more official title, I’ll call being a “student.” College students no longer live under their parent’s roofs, but are not even supposed to live like responsible adults, since significant portions of the classic “college experience” presuppose immature or evil behavior. In fact, when college students do act mature for their age, they jokingly refer to it as “adulting,” implying that they don’t really consider themselves adults (or at least, only do so ironically).

I think he gestures in this direction when he points out the danger inherent in having no official transition:

… There is no clear point of transition. There is no one “rite of passage.” One of the unfortunate effects can be that boys are insecure. They don’t know when they are men. Again and again they may try to prove that they are “grown up.” Sometimes they may choose destructive ways-join a gang, go hotrodding, learn to smoke, get drunk, take a girl to bed.

2 Likes

Does anybody know how the Poythress boys have turned out? It’s been, what, 20 years now, so we could conceivably find out if this was effective.

1 Like

Very well, I think. One is a pastor up in Inday, at a PCA church.

2 Likes

Our rite of manhood in the Bayly home was getting out without having become embittered against their dad.

14 Likes

Just read an article by Justin Poythress about Bible reading/memorization. It looks like he holds his dad in high regard. Good sign.

2 Likes

My son is about to turn two so no insights here, though I remember being fascinated with the Poythress article a while back. If I’m not mistaken, the Art of Manliness also did a podcast on this topic that is worth listening to.

All in all, it seems to me that, as previously pointed out, yearly increases in responsibilities mount up over time and young men are capable of a lot more than we often put them up to.

2 Likes

James Webb has a chapter near the very end of Born Fighting about the Rites of Passage in Scots-Irish culture. He says “One is tempted to call this process the Redneck Bar Mitzvah.”

"Group activities such as hunting and athletics often play an important role, as does the proving ground of military service… [imbuing] traits of courage, personal honor, and loyalty…

These standards were passed down to me hard and early by my father, and I have done the same thing with my son. In both cases it was automatic, even more the role of a father than checking homework or making sure we went to church. In this culture, if one is to be recognized as a leader, he must know how to fight and be willing to do so, even in the face of certain defeat. He must be willing to compete in games of skill, whether they are something as traditional as organized athletics, as specialized as motorcycle or stock car racing, or as esoteric as billiards or video games. He must know how to use a weapon to defend himself, his family, and his friends. He should know how to hunt and fish and camp, and thus survive. And throughout his young life he should observed learn from the strong men in his midst, so that he can take their lessons with him into adulthood and pass them on to the next generation. Perhaps, as some claim, the advance of civilization and the sophistication of our society have made many of these lessons irrelevant. But to me, the attitudes they ingrained have been the most consistent sustaining forces in my life.

He then proceeds to outline some of the process he went through with his father and uncles and their friends, including getting a pair of boxing gloves at 6 (and being taught how to use them.) He describes it as starting out as a child on

“the outer edges of what other cultures might call the tribal circle, listening to my father and his longtime friends swap tales. This ritual is at the heart of the Scots-Irish culture, still replayed in hunting lodges and fishing camps throughout America as the old and young gather ostensibly to hunt or fish but in reality to celebrate their bonds and pass on their way of life. In the cabins and around the campfires the lions sit at center stage, trading false insults and challenging each other, jesting with the emeritus elders who need no longer fight, telling tales of younger days or of those who have gone before. And on the outer edges, ever quiet, the young boys listen, awed and thankful to be in the presence of the drinking and the swearing, absorbing stories that tell them what it means to be a man, and longing for the day that they can finally sit as full members of the tribe.”

He goes on to describe getting his first shot of whiskey as a child out coon hunting with the men on a cold night. He tells some of the stories he heard about his uncle, and his first hand accounts of his father being too hard on him, but being grateful for it. He honors his father tremendously, and it is quite moving.

A good book, and worth getting from the library just to read this chapter. (Although, it will mean a lot more to you if you read the whole book that precedes it, describing and honoring the Scots-Irish culture, without ignoring its flaws.)

My takeaway with regard to this conversation is twofold. First, that it isn’t actually a one-time thing in that culture, but a life-long process. You go through stages of manhood, and there are rites of passage for some parts but others just happen and the rites simply signal what has already happened. Second, that though the father is central to this, it is really passing along an entire culture, and therefore requires true community with unified culture and values to accomplish it. This last point may well be one of the main things that makes it seem so hard to do today. Not only have hunting and camping physical feats fallen on hard times, but nobody even believes manhood is good. We feel alone in attempting to pass it on, much less culture and values, etc.

13 Likes

Even before my parents divorced, my father spent very little time with me. Perhaps that was his way of reducing conflict with my mother, but she used his absence to poison me against him. After the divorce, I never saw him again until a week before he died. I don’t think I was ever effeminate, but I grew up feeling quite insecure in my masculinity. What helped me greatly was simply spending time in the company of Christian men doing ordinary stuff and realizing that I was accepted and treated as one of them. So if we want to help boys grow into confident manhood, I think it is not so much necessary to create special coming-of-age rituals as it is to provide many opportunities for boys to spend time in the company of men doing worthwhile activities. The problem we face is that it is nearly impossible to create that sort of space these days. If it is a worthwhile activity, then there is immense legal and cultural pressure exerted to open it to girls and women, which defeats the purpose. Or it is treated as an occasion of immature indulgence in which the men are reduced to boys, which also defeats the purpose.

7 Likes