Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

1 Like

4 Likes

So do I remind him that we have a no memes policy? Hmmmā€¦ :face_with_monocle::innocent:

1 Like

Ban him. But donā€™t dignify him with the rule breaker badge. :smiling_imp::innocent::smiling_imp:

1 Like

I think technically it is a ā€œno gifsā€ policy, but I didnā€™t just check, so maybe Iā€™m remembering wrong.

Perhaps we should add/change it to a no memes policy. (And then ban him.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I say we change the policy to allow for gifs and memes. And then ban him.

8 Likes

Itā€™s got to be time for a random banning anyway. Donā€™t give him a reason. Just ban him for the heck of it.

Wait a minuteā€¦uhā€¦er.

2 Likes

I flagged me.

3 Likes

That was a good point about the lack of professionalism and ownership in letting JJA throw so much shade at The Last Jedi. I didnā€™t think about it in those terms while watching because I was so excited to see shade thrown at TLJ.

Iā€™ve heard Rob Long and William Goldman both say variations of the same thing: no one in Hollywood knows why anything works. Thereā€™s no guarantee that $$$$ plus all of the talent that money can buy will translate into good storytelling.

1 Like

In comparing it to the Last Jedi it was better, but definitely full of subtle(and not so subtle) ways to promote agendas in culture. Of course one of those is making the main protagonist a female and having her lead men.

2 Likes

I have so many opinions about TRoS. Opinions that would make it sound like I hated it or loved it or couldnā€™t care either way depending on what/how itā€™s being discussed.

With this new trilogy Iā€™ve been sort of watching it with one eye on the movie, one eye on my kids, and a lot of my opinions are biased in that direction. I look at how the movie impacts them and see where I need to jump in. In a way itā€™s been an interesting ride. My eldest daughter was 11 when TFA was releasedā€“15 nowā€“and Iā€™m happy to say Iā€™ve been able to shepherd her to the point where she recognizes all the Grrrrl Powerrr and other agendas without me pointing it out, and the new Star Wars has been a good playground to work some of that out with.

But beyond that, I was looking to see if there was anything good in these stories to capture their imaginations, which in my mind is essential to developing a good ā€˜leaf-mould of the mindā€™. And on a pure fun, child-like level, with archtypes and cool costumes and laser sword fights, swashbucklery and thrilling adventure (a boost of nostalgia doesnā€™t hurt), on that level, I was happy with TFA. And on that level I loathed with a righteous loathing TLJ and all of its nihilistic, plotless, agenda-driven subversiveness. Before I could even voice a word, one of my childrenā€™s reactions to TLJ walking out of the theater was ā€œI hate Luke Skywalker nowā€. On a child-like level, it failed. And worse, it led to mere apathy. For me and for my kids. We could care less about the new characters. There werenā€™t as many living room lightsaber fights anymore.

So all of that (plus more Iā€™ll not get into here) was the context going into The Rise of Skywalker. For the previous two films we watched opening night. This one we saw in January. The kids were excited, but not clamoring as they were for the previous two.

So we watched it, and it was a mess. But Iā€™m here to say, on the level I describedā€“with an eye towards my kids and their reactions, and with an eye towards the movie seeing how there was an actual overt course correction from TLJā€“I think it was a glorious mess. In fact, every fault I find with this film (and yeah, there are many) I can more or less lay it at the feet of the trilogy as a whole.

I found this film to be fun, full of swashbucklery and adventure, and a noble rebuke of the mindset and ideology that created and delighted in TLJ. A film shouldnā€™t have to be a rebuke of itā€™s predecessor, and typically that would be a negative, but in this case, because itā€™s Star Wars, because my kids were watching, because of the weird cultural context we find ourselves and how even stories about space wizards impact us, I believe the rebuke was necessary and fitting.

That said, The Mandalorian beats all the new movies hands down.

4 Likes

Very true dat

3 Likes

The Mandalorian was enjoyable and was surprised how well done an eight week streaming tv Star Wars done. In eight episodes it gave a compelling story, interesting/complex characters and tied most things together well by episode 8.

There is at least one thing I hope are addressed in the second season, who was the mysterious figure who we know has a cape and spurs we saw at the end of the Chapter 5: The Gunslinger.

2 Likes

Finally saw the film today. But I havenā€™t seen parts 7 or 8 yet.

But its Star Wars so its all the same basically. My 7 yo really wanted to see it and since I figured it would be the last chance he ever had to see a Star Wars film in the theater I threw caution to the wind. (My 9 yo begrudgingly went along and decided its his second favorite movie after Teen Titans Go to the Movies). Anyway, I canā€™t claim to be a Star Wars fan. That said, my reaction was mostly ā€œmeh.ā€ I found myself laughing after Kylo Ren brought Rey back to life. Saving from a mortal wound should be a once-per-movie event in my opinion. Lots of good ā€œfan-service.ā€ Bringing Lando in was genius. Lots of good ā€œlight-saverā€ battles. Cool spaceship battle-scene. ā€œIts not a navy. Theyā€™re justā€¦ people.ā€ Who knew that long ago, a galaxy far away was populated by so many Americans?

Best moment, imo, was Chewie mourning Leia, and I say that with all seriousness. I canā€™t believe a Sasquatch laying on the ground screaming in a guttural computerized moan can be poignant. And yetā€¦

Also, did Leia suicide? I didnt get her cause of death. Itā€™s like - she knows what she has to do, and then she lays down and dies. I had a hard time caring about the death of a Carrie Fisher character but that could be my own character flaw.

Anyway, cool podcast. Keep it up. Iā€™m more interested in the upcoming Disney Princess episodes than Star Wars. Still hoping for some Godzilla :smiley:

1 Like

Lol. Which Godzilla do you want? American modern Godzilla? The classic cheese ball kaiju films from Toho? The somber original black and white nuclear fable one?

1 Like

Hah. Me and my seven year old canā€™t get enough Godzilla in our lives.

1 Like