Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I remember well the slow-creeping dread I had while watching this movie. It just kept getting worse and worse. I didn’t predict how Han would die as early as you guys, but after he had that conversation with Leia about their son, I knew exactly how it would happen, by whom, the scenery, and what Rey would do immediately after. Vivid in my head. So disappointing.

I wrote this soon after it came out:

https://medium.com/@mattrobison/the-force-hits-snooze-and-sleeps-in-f98d9412538f

The main redeeming quality I found was that it set up a sequel that could have been great…and then The Last Jedi made sure to ruin even that part of it.

Great conversation.

2 Likes

But Rise of Skywalker will be everything we ever hoped and dreamed of, right?

Right?

I’ll probably have the most fun at Rise of Skywalker, because I have zero good expectations. Other than the genius of an Ian McDiarmid Palpy performance, which is a foregone conclusion. Although who knows, they might figure out how to ruin that, too.

2 Likes

@jacob.mentzel was just discussing ways they will probably do that today. He made a compelling case that they will. :expressionless:

True story.

In the comics, they have already started the process of making Emperor Palpatine an incompetent boob. (Star Wars Reveals [SPOILER] Built The Empire, Not Palpatine) Surprise! It’s a woman who is the true genius behind the throne.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this found its way into the movie somehow. They really don’t know which direction to run with the football.

So, I’ve been listening to Sound of Sanity (and the spinoff episodes) for a couple of years now. I’ve found them to be hugely helpful for a bunch of reasons that I don’t have time to get into. But, as I’m sure you know, disagreement tends to draw out commentary more than agreement. (Sorry!) So I want to toss out a slightly contrary opinion, and I’m trying to do it before the viewing of The Last Jedi so that maybe I can successfully poison the well…or at least introduce some complications into ya’lls analysis.

So, I hated–hatedThe Force Awakens. I dedicated a large number of words to why, which I will link here: For further comment–Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens | A Dark and Quiet Room

Context: I really liked Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn trilogy and really wish that they’d filmed that instead. Also there were a lot of other things going on in my life when The Force Awakens came out, which included a huge sensitivity to both the blatant feminism and the denigration of marriage that were present, so, you know, I’m not maybe the most objective source.

Also, Brick is one of my favorite movies, because I actually do like noir. :wink:

So now that I’ve positioned myself…

Upon my first viewing, I thought that The Last Jedi redeemed most of what I hated about The Force Awakens.

I liked how Kylo Ren ditched his helmet.

I liked how Poe got his wings clipped.

I even liked Luke’s midlife crisis.

Now, I went into the movie having already read spoilers. I wasn’t originally going to watch the movie, because I hated The Force Awakens that much. But when I first watched it, I didn’t react to the feminism that was (if possible) even more integrated than it was in The Force Awakens.

Instead, I saw a movie aimed at an audience in its middle age.

A while ago, I wrote about watching the first few Harry Potter movies: Stories and seasons | A Dark and Quiet Room

In this post, I talked about the idea of stories for different seasons of life. And maybe it’s just the moment when I saw it, but The Last Jedi resonated with me, because it dealt with the regrets of middle age. Of having made bad decisions and wanting to run from them. Of having caused deep harm and not knowing how to move ahead. Of wanting desperately to have been a better man, and wanting somehow to be redeemed.

I saw myself in Luke. I connected with having once been an idealist, and having seen my (naive?) idealism crushed by my own actions. I resonated with wanting to pass on something of value to the next generation, but questioning if I even have the right to speak. I understood the deep sense of having failed, and not knowing if it was possible to take up the mantle of hero once again.

At the same time, honestly, I did kinda like that this was a movie that said, “You young kids don’t know what you’re doing and need to listen to your elders.” That’s how I read the Poe/Leia conflict at first. Not a “dumb male vs. enlightened female”–although that’s probably what it was–but more of a “old age and wisdom vs. youth and inexperience.” In an environment that exalts youth, I was pleased to see that the wisdom of age was being respected and that lessons were (slowly and painfully) being conveyed to another generation. That’s how I saw Poe’s progression, how he was able to expand his understanding of the situation and, therefore, was able to exercise truly wise leadership. Even though youthful exuberance would have argued for a “noble” last stand, he was able to take a longer view by the end of the movie and retreat to fight another day.

It’s also how I saw the final duel between Kylo Ren and Luke. These are the last lessons that Luke is trying to give to his apprentice. He is trying to teach Kylo how to reject his impulsiveness and temper and to learn how to control himself. By this point, Luke has himself learned the lessons that he needs to learn about himself and has been able to encompass his failures with Kylo and learn from them. He is so desperately trying to convey his hard-earned lessons to Kylo, who just won’t listen.

This was the lens through which I viewed The Last Jedi. Well, on my first viewing. On my second viewing, all the feminism that was woven throughout the story was apparent to me, and, honestly, I just wasn’t all that excited about the movie after that. I’ll likely rewatch the original trilogy again, because these are the films of my youth, but the chances that I’ll voluntarily watch either of these newer films is just about nil.

Anyways, I wanted to toss out an alternate perspective on both of these films–especially The Last Jedi–as you all are going through this rewatching. Hopefully you find this valuable. Regardless, I’ve found your conversations helpful and entertaining, and I’m looking forward to future episodes.

6 Likes

I’m glad you wrote in, Greatwolf. I’ll have all that in my mind when we rewatch the movie. Not sure where we’ll land but I’d love to find a way to like the darn thing. Honest.

Although this might not be germane to this specific episode, I’ve been watching The Mandalorian with my family, which includes my 4 year old son and my 2 year old daughter. After initially watching them on my own, I deemed the show acceptable for young kids and I knew they’d love Baby Yoda.

Their enthusiasm for the show brings me joy. I figure I will eventually watch the movies with them, but something Jake has said in an earlier episode came back to me: Star Wars is for kids. That’s the joy and, if I may, beauty of the series… but there’s nothing about TFA or TLJ that my kids would enjoy. Not the story, nor the characters, nor the settings… it’s joyless nostalgia farming. That works with Rogue One, which you guys rightly remarked felt like an exercise in “Star Wars but for grown ups,” but the sequel trilogy seems to have been aimed squarely at Gen Xers and Millennials who grew up with Star Wars, and it still fails to fundamentally understand what made Star Wars fun and beloved.

The prequel trilogies, for their many faults, at least failed on merits other than their Star Wars-ness. Contrarily, the sequels fail precisely because they aim to be Star Wars. I can’t show these movies to my kids. There’s no charm or magic to them on top of them being bad movies generally. That’s what’s so disappointing. Disney has historically understood how to capture magic and capitalize on childhood appeal, even at their most cynical and money-hungry, but they seem totally clueless with the sequels.

Now, I will say that the success of The Mandalorian gives me hope for their future endeavors into the universe, but as cliche as it is at this point to suggest as much, the most obvious place to lay the blame seems to be Kathleen Kennedy. I’m not certain Kevin Feige is the best option to replace her (I don’t know if Star Wars can or should work like Marvel), but Favreau and Filoni understand what makes Star Wars the beloved cinematic mythos in the US, so I think Disney may very well have more success with future movies.

I’m also stoked for the Kenobi series. Obi-Wan has been my favorite Star Wars character since I was a kid, to the point where I occasionally insisted people call me “Koby-Wan Kenobi” (my first name is Koby).

So The Force Awakens stunk but I don’t think all is lost for the future of Star Wars if The Mandalorian is any indication.

4 Likes

Well, I’m not sure that The Last Jedi actually deserves to be liked. :wink: But thank you for listening.

2 Likes

We almost skipped school/work today when we saw episode 5 had dropped.

So true re: kids.

Light Mando spoiler:

When the ramp dropped to reveal BY in episode 4 there was an epic riot of squeaking and giggles in my living room and only part of that was from me.

3 Likes