Spider- Man: Far from Home

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

A couple observations…the bad guy is basically a cheesy Hollywood movie director. Is this mirroring? :thinking:

Also there’s an element of the wizard of Oz. But where Hitchcock and even Spielberg know to keep a secret, Far From Home gives it away barely an hour into the movie. It really deflated the intensity of what was at stake.

This movie is what I call a transitional movie, something to connect the old with something new…like Rogue One, which had not real point except to tell the younger audience to go back and watch the original Star Wars so you’ll know who we’re talking about and why everything looks completely different in these new movies we’re about to make.

2 Likes

I share many of the same criticisms ya’ll gave. Mainly: fatherhood is forgotten (er hated).

I liked Quentin up until the reveal at the bar. I relate well with this Peter Parker in that his need of a father is tapped into more, and better, than Maguire or Garfield (forget about the latter).
My mother raised me in a single parent home, so seeing Peter lose Tony really hit hard…so…
I bought into Quentin being good. I knew deep down he was gonna turn bad, but I hoped it would be because of tragedy not because he was evil the whole time.
The bar scene was excellent. I totally bought Quentin’s lie. Then the reveal happened and I hated it…
This was the first time they had a stand-up father-figure in a super-hero movie since Doc Oc in SM2. Call me naive for buying the lie, but they should have had Quentin go through tragedy of some sort like Octavius and then have Peter wrestle with joining the fallen father or doing the hard and right thing (Vader-Luke, whatever, who cares it’s been done before). But that would have had emotional punch…granted this is MCU, they rally aren’t selling that.
Only problem they would need to change if they had gone pro-father is whether Quentin was really from a parallel universe. Please no.

Sidenote: did anyone else notice Quentin’s suit (the grey one) had fractals on it. I really appreciated that, quite clever:

serpinskiTriangles

3 Likes

I actually liked it better how they did it. From the minute Quentin was introduced as a “good guy” I was thinking, “What’s going to happen to make him turn?” The thought didn’t cross my mind that he was lying the whole time until the reveal at the bar scene. I was ready to believe he came from another Earth in the multiverse (probably because Endgame already broke the main universe in the MCU). I kinda bought the whole elementals thing as “well, that’s dumb, but exactly the sort of lazy writing late-stage Marvel would ruin the franchise with.”

I bought the lie, too. Maybe it’s naivete, or maybe it’s just us believing what we wanted to believe. :wink: Either way, I think the total lie fits better with the Mysterio character and was a fun bit of meta-commentary. I’m also glad that the elementals have been established in-universe as a lie, because boy was that dumb.

3 Likes

@Krlamb1 I agree to some degree with your thoughts on how the bad guy reveal(secret/major plot) came in early, but I wasn’t surprised they went this route. Mysterio’s character both in comics and even in animated shows has been similar. It was nice for this film being the end of Marvel’s phase 3 that it did tie in well. One thing we talked about the other day when we saw it was how the role of authority/guidance was primarily the children (Peter and his various classmates). Not only this it actually made the adults out to be people you wouldn’t want to emulate as they were ignorant, foolish, and simply put clueless.

The character of Mysterio testified to the nature of deception in so many ways. It showed how lies can have some measure of truth in them, but almost truths as we know are the most dangerous as they can tempt someone to believe a lie or even worse justify it.

There is more to be said, but wanted to place my two cents in now.

4 Likes

This is what is so bad about Harry Potter.

Below is how especially fathers have been protrayed on television for decades. And, more recently often, Christians.

2 Likes

So, I finally got to watch Spider-man FfH. And because I was renting, I watched it two days in a row, having decided it was safe enough for my kids.

During the first viewing, the Mysterio twist was good. I wasn’t familiar with the villain, so the twist seemed both obvious and clever.

The second time around the twist felt less important. Rather that scene was more about a kid looking for a way out of such awesome responsibility. His relief was still visceral to me. I don’t know if that says something about me or Tom’s ability to act :smile:

2 Likes