Slippery slope in the PCA

An online acquaintance forwarded this article he recently wrote, regarding Vos, Kuyper and the trajectory of the Presbyterian Church for the last 100 years.

I invited him to come check out Sanityville. Check out his article on the Aquila Report

https://www.theaquilareport.com/geerhardus-vos-a-ruling-elder-and-the-reality-of-the-slippery-slope/

The slippery slope is real, but cooperation with Baptists isn’t part of the slide.

3 Likes

Needless to say he and I have some different thoughts on matter of conscience in regards to time and mode of baptism. Nevertheless the slope is quite slippery on a million other things.

1 Like

The Baptists have similar problems, as the SBC demonstrates on a regular basis, but there are some, including Reformed Baptists, with whom one can make common cause. Because you have a common enemy.

1 Like

The slippery slope was ever thus. I know that in the tradition I grew up in (Pentecostal), they have ‘gone off the boil’ w.r.t. holiness; for all its faults in practice, they did have their heart in the right place here.

I think that this is almost inevitable in church life, human nature being what it is. It isn’t a “decline to zero”, so much as something more like half-life; that is, as radioactive substances retain some activity, even after several generations of half-life, so the groups people have left from do retain at least some viability.

What this also means is that the groups which are currently bailing out of the PCA will themselves, in about fifty years’ time, need a reboot of the sort we are seeing here. For what reason, we cannot see at this stage.

4 Likes

It’s like institutional entropy and decay. It’s why “always reforming” is so important.

5 Likes

[To Jay]
Oh, I agree completely.

I’m currently preaching through Ecclesiastes, so this theme is very much on my mind. But I’ve been wrestling with this for a number of years now.

I think the curse of futility in our work, at least in the personal sense of futility, includes the labour of pastors and churches. Maybe sometimes we think that because we’re doing explicitly gospel-focused work thorns and thistles needn’t apply here, at least not in the big picture? But being pastors and doing Christian work doesn’t get us out of Genesis 3. Our labour is still the sweat of our brow and seemingly futile.

What theologian or pastor can you think of throughout the history of the church who really accomplished something and died feeling he’d really accomplished something?

7 Likes

That is a hard truth. Thank you for saying so. I am ever aware of the thorns in my work as a husband and as a man.

1 Like