Prof. James K.A. Smith must be silenced

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

9 Likes

My review of You Are What You Love:

“Some good ideas, but this book is basically Thoughtful Evangelicalism™ crossed with Portlandia.”

1 Like

LOL that’s exactly right.

Did he perform a gay “wedding” too? I thought he had but now I can’t find anything online.

Asking because our headmaster is sending out articles going through one of Smith’s books (which I actually kind of liked). He was surprised when I told him that Smith is… not great.

2 Likes

Are there any good critiques or counterpoints to Smith’s philosophy by trusted men out there? Smith gets referenced in quite a few different places (I’ve seen him referenced by Revoice authors, Keller-esque “missional” pastors, as well as seemingly solid PCA teaching elders) and its challenging to trace exactly what the influence is.

Here’s my serious response to your question:

FROM JUDE:

They count it a pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are stains and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, as they carouse with you, having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin, enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed, accursed children; forsaking the right way, they have gone astray, having followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; but he received a rebuke for his own transgression, for a mute donkey, speaking with a voice of a man, restrained the madness of the prophet.

These are springs without water and mists driven by a storm, for whom the black darkness has been reserved. For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error, promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved.

For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them.

It has happened to them according to the true proverb, “A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT,” and, “A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire.”

Some would say such a response is not serious, but characteristic of those who are lazy, intellectually, and unwilling to put in the time to mount a serious critique. For myself, wasting time on mounting a philosophical defense of God’s sheep from Jim and his effete philosopher friends is a fool’s errand. It’s answering fools according to their folly.

What the church needs is men willing to meet the false shepherds eating the sheep with barks and growls and warning; men willing to humbly copy the barks and growls and warnings Scripture uses in places like Jude. Sure, sometimes we must debate them, as the Apostle Paul did in the Areopagus. But spend time debating guys like Jim? Mounting a serious critique of such a man’s intellectual preening for his peers?

We live in an evil day. Let’s lower ourselves to silencing such men—not dignifying them with our critique. On the other hand, I admit that I’m just a shepherd. Love,

3 Likes

Tim, I deeply respect your opinion and trust your judgment. Having reread your original blog post just now I am able to see why you responded the way you did to my question. And I don’t disagree, but I do want to know what else informs your decision here? Even your blog post asked the hypothetical question, “Is any publisher there in the homeland of Continental Reformed faith seeking to acquire a manuscript which will expose this wickedness as precisely and firmly as Calvin and Luther exposed Rome’s sacramentalist idolatry?” That question itself does not automatically remove critique from the table.

But my main point and question is that I want to be able to make the same connections you are making with the confidence with which you are making them. In the Smith tweet I see a guy showing off his niceness on social media. You mentioned this in your tweet today about the “giggling excitement over fashion.” I see a guy who presents himself as an intellectual with all the accoutrements. From that, I can extrapolate pride and arrogance. I also see the tee shirt message with the false teaching of LGBT affirmation. But when you say “silence him” and talk about “not dignifying them with a critique,” I want to know that we are responding to the same things because if I oppose Smith to someone who is trying to promote his writing to me, I need to give a confident answer. And if/when I’m asked to give a critique I want to be confident in withholding it.

Some of this may be the wisdom of age and experience, being able to see “types” through a handful of surface clues. Some of it may be the fruit of who likes Smith and cites him. Maybe you’ve read one of his books or have seen a review of one. But you’re also referring to him as “Jim” which implies you may know him or have some personal association through colleagues or mutual friends. I don’t know if this is out of line but I guess I’m just asking for a bit of a diagnostic–not just for Smith, but for others who present like he does–those whose words we may not know in-depth, yet we can still quickly and (I hope) accurately discern how to warn others.

1 Like

what else informs your decision here?

To some degree, I suspect it’s judgments learned from a lifetime living with academics. Their discussions are academic, as it were. Only rarely do they have external motivation or purpose. They are simply self-justifying. It’s just like Scripture’s description of Athens. Beyond my own lifetime of work, I don’t think the influence of my father can be overstated in demonstrating himself that discernment’s purpose is to warn the sheep rather than use knowledge, vocabulary, and logic as tools to build one’s reputation.

Even your blog post asked the hypothetical question, “Is any publisher there in the homeland of Continental Reformed faith seeking to acquire a manuscript which will expose this wickedness as precisely and firmly as Calvin and Luther exposed Rome’s sacramentalist idolatry?” That question itself does not automatically remove critique from the table.

Yes, you’re right to point this out, dear brother. But lurking slightly beneath the question wasn’t a plea as much as a shaming. The Dutch are gone. Dead and deep into the rotting— especially in Grand Rapids. Especially their higher ed and publishers and denomination.

In the Smith tweet I see a guy showing off his niceness on social media. You mentioned this in your tweet today about the “giggling excitement over fashion.”

He’s preening himself in front of his audience, and his preening is focussed on showing his niceness, compassion, and love for those given to sexual perversions of various sorts. He’s also preening himself over being a courageous defender of these souls in bondage by standing against those calling them to repentance, whom he slanders as “haters.”

In truth, he doesn’t give a rip about them. He loves his own image and it furthers that image he wants for him to put on the costume of a lover of the LGBT crowd. Truthfully though, he himself hates them. What else could we possibly say about a man who announced to the sheep standing in the crosshairs of our culture’s rebellion against God and His Law that they are a persecuted minority, that those warning them away from their sinful perversions are haters?

Things are the exact opposite of what this wicked philosopher at Calvin says through his words and accoutrements. We know it on a visceral level, but we also know the response to our simply declaring it by men and women who have settled in to the niceness of sending gays and lesbians on their way to Hell, declaring that sendoff to be our niceness and compassion. Even those who somewhat (or even mostly) agree with us will be revulsed at our declaring the truth. We are a people of lies and exposing lies—any lies—is the ultimate sin of our time.

This is what the brilliant and wise gay philosopher at Univ. of Chicago, Allan Bloom, saw over thirty years ago, and warned of in his book: the only “value” (a word he abhored for its communication of moral relativism) left in America is being nice, getting along with each other.

I see a guy who presents himself as an intellectual with all the accoutrements. From that, I can extrapolate pride and arrogance. I also see the tee shirt message with the false teaching of LGBT affirmation. But when you say “silence him” and talk about “not dignifying them with a critique,” I want to know that we are responding to the same things because if I oppose Smith to someone who is trying to promote his writing to me, I need to give a confident answer. And if/when I’m asked to give a critique I want to be confident in withholding it.

Actually, I’d say your critique is to tell him to be quiet because he’s destroying souls. To tell him to be silent because he is a false shepherd, then simply stating that he hates sexual sinners and is helping them on their way to Hell. End of statement.

Then, of course, he’d huff and puff and try to blow your house down, but you’d remain unflappable and not take his bait. Not give him any argument. Simply reiterate that you had already said what needed to be said.

He’d froth at the mouth and say you are an enemy of the people (Ibsen), at which point you would have garnered the attention of the men of the Areopagus and start your sermon on lust and modesty and holiness and the bondage of those poor souls caught in these sins God calls “abominations,” and the love of Christ constraining you to see to their welfare and healing, rather than their damnation, calling them to repentance and faith, and so on… Not an argument so much as a simple condemnation in one direction, but a preaching of the Gospel in the other.

Some of this may be the wisdom of age and experience, being able to see “types” through a handful of surface clues.

I wouldn’t say a handful of surface clues, but rather a plethora of graphical and verbal evidence of his own deep bondate to arrogance, self-delusion, and deception. Again, he says he’s nice and a lover of those in the bondage of LGBTQ perversion and he says those warning and calling them to repentance and to flee those perversions are haters. But it’s the very opposite; he’s the hater and those others are the godly and the only ones who love the LGTBQers. As Holmes would say, it’s elementary my dear Perkins. Or as others would say, KISS. Smile.

Life is short, too short to argue with vain, deceptive, arrogant, haters with the terminal degree posing as Christian intellectuals at Christian colleges charging Christian parents $50,000 per year to betray their children to the wolves.

One final thing: arguing with Smith, Trueman, Keller, and their fan-boys inevitably becomes an effort on our part of learning what words to use and what rhetoric to employ and citations to make and authorities to quote and Joan Didions to publish pics of and profess eternal love to in order to be taken seriously by our interlocutor. This may be time well spent if we are Luther engaging Erasmus, but meawhile, Scripture is filled to the brim with simple silencings adorned by preciously simple condemnations and warnings with a few arguments interspersed. Take Galatians, for instance.

Well, hope that gives a glimpse into my thinking on these things. Long ago, I committed myself to writing for the sheep to be warned rather than writing for the bright boys to be feted by them and included in their cliques. And I have never had the slightest regret in that matter. If I’m called to use the sword, I want it bloody, not polished and on display for those willing to pay the price of entry to the museum. Love,

9 Likes

This is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to put these things down in writing.

3 Likes

… We are a people of lies and exposing lies—any lies—is the ultimate sin of our time.

In a similar vein, George Orwell (attrib.): “During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act”.

I had the opportunity to skim through James K.A. Smith’s book Who’s Afraid of Postmodernism?: Taking Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault to Church (Baker Academic, 2006). I thought I would share a few quotes and thoughts to further prove Tim’s point and to serve as an example of what Smith felt compelled to write for pastors, students, and lay Christians back in 2006.

Who’s Afraid of Postmodernism? is basically a defense of postmodern philosophy as an essential thing for Christians to embrace and learn from because Smith claims he is following in the footsteps of Francis Schaeffer who “took philosophy seriously.” With that, he happily commends the work of the emergent church, especially Brian McLaren (who also endorsed the book).

Smith says:

This book is an attempt to make off with postmodern loot for the sake of the kingdom. In particular, I suggest that this unholy trinity of Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault might in fact push us to recapture some truths about the nature of the church that have been overshadowed by modernity and especially by Christian appropriations of modernism.

This tells you what he’s up to and the concessions he is going to make throughout. He says the problem with Christians treating postmodernism as a boogeyman is that the church has “become so thoroughly modern.” He doesn’t define what he means by that so I believe he’s just being clever—decrying the use of one dog whistle by using another. It’s a bait and switch to chastise Christians (like D.A. Carson) for their “simplistic” warnings against the emergent church.

There are several moments where he wants us to admire his clever reversal of our expectations. For instance, he maddeningly tries to argue that Derrida’s statement “nothing outside the text” is actually a similar sentiment to the Reformation doctrine of sola scriptura. He claims that this should cause us to reclaim the centrality of scripture in the life of the church but doesn’t do that in any of his analysis. Obviously this is all just word games and self-gratification for him. He offers no substantial interaction with the Reformers or the Bible as far as I could tell. Only broad brush self-justifications, assuring us that he is just helping Christians know that its okay to be postmodern if they want to be.

One thing he said is a statement that I have seen as a fundamental part of the “missionalist” project within the PCA and elsewhere:

Of course, since none of these theorists are Christians, we should also expect some points of fundamental disagreement as well as the necessity to critique some of their conclusions.

This is exactly what Nate Collins said when he used radical feminist theory to utterly redefine gender in All But Invisible. This is exactly what Keller said when he argued that Christians should use Critical Theory to help us have a better understanding of our calling. This is what others like Anthony Bradley claimed when they rushed to defend Keller. They claim to use the theory that burns others so easily, yet they are able to come through unscathed. If only we will learn from them how to do it!

This idea that there are “some points of fundamental disagreement” (of course, that Smith never exactly defines but merely alludes to their existence) begs the question of why we would allow ourselves to be deeply shaped by people we know will fundamentally lead us astray? I would expect that Smith has “some points of fundamental disagreement” with Hitler too—but what I would not expect is to see him claim that Hitler has some important things to teach Christians about the true nature of the church. Who cares what Hitler got right when we know what he got wrong—and how wickedly wrong it was?

There are plenty of other items I ran across that I will withhold. They simply are not worth ruminating on. But if anyone needs any further evidence of the intellectual arrogance and foolishness of Smith’s book, I will end with this quote from the first chapter:

I will argue that the postmodern church could do nothing better than be ancient, that the most powerful way to reach a postmodern world is by recovering tradition, and that the most effective means of discipleship is found in liturgy. Each tour of a postmodern church [that takes place at the end of each chapter in the book] will give a concrete picture of what Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault might mean for how we worship.

As with the rest of the now spiritually shipwrecked emergent church that Smith apes for the entire book, this is the kind of statement made by someone bored with Jesus and His Word.

5 Likes

Thank you, M.D. Very helpful. Keep at it. This might be your gift to us! Love,

1 Like

The Liturgence ™

2 Likes

What happened to all the emergent guys? They all just seemed to fade out between 2012 and 2016. Are they all teaching at universities now like this Smith fellow?

They are still around and fully in the “progressive Christian” camp. Many are still writing books. I don’t think many of them ended up in universities but I don’t know for sure.

But this question requires some research and probably a dedicated thread of its own. I have started to look into it and will post something more detailed in a few days.

1 Like

MD - Look for something called “Emergent Village”, and specifically a Tony Jones, as being the starting point for what we now call Progressive Christianity. Emergent was eventually subsumed into it, from what I can see.

I recently heard a pastor give a summary of this book. Your review here seems fitting. Very anti-consumerist but with a predictable high church edge. Even though Smith uses liturgy loosely (like his whole “liturgy of the shopping mall” analogy) he seems to really present formal church liturgy as the saving grace of the Christian life.

From the descriptions and quotes I heard, Smith’s book sounds like a fruitless intellectual exercise. Deuteronomy 6 already told me everything and more I need to know—and with the weight and authority of God behind it rather than the effete ponderings of a professional academic.

Ironically, if Smith’s main point is true (that we are what we love) then a philosophical treatise about that is not really what anyone needs. Instead we need to be exhorted and stirred to love and obey God which comes by the preached Word. But I would wager that Smith is probably no great fan of Reformed preaching, despite being at an institution named in honor of John Calvin.

GK Beale wrote a pretty definitive treatment of that biblical theme in ‘We Become What We Worship.’ Brilliant biblical theology, from what I remember.

2 Likes