Private gratitude to strengthen our faith

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

4 Likes

A few years back I was at a shepherds conference and I thanked Pastor Bayly for his writing on fatherhood which had helped me to truly love and respect my father. He encouraged me to initiate contact with my father including hugging him and telling him I love him. This has led to many times where I have had the opportunity to also ask for forgiveness for past ways that I had sinned against him and the way that he and my mother tried to raise me.

I think that these have overall been good for me and my relationship with my dad, but almost everytime I have told him I was sorry about something in the past he almost never says I forgive you. He always seems very uncomfortable with my apologies and seems to explain it away (Its one of those things, nobodies perfect, etc,)

Am I crazy to think that he should just say I forgive you?

2 Likes

Yes. No one, especially pastors, say “I’m sorry,” “please forgive me,” or “I forgive you.” Unexplored territory, it has to be taught. No one knows to do these things today, so be patient. So glad to hear of your loving your Dad. Love,

3 Likes