On Death and Dying

New Warhorn Media post by Lucas Weeks:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to the old talks. Hope you all can figure out a way to post them to their own page on Warhorn. The Adam Spaetti talks should be listened to by everyone. Dr. Spaetti was a gift to us.

4 Likes

Thank you for this podcast. It was very helpful. The part about God burying Moses was a very poignant point.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing all of this. Itā€™s very timely for my family. I listened to the Euthanasia talk today, and at the end Dr. Spaetti mentions having further thoughts to share on palliative care that it sounded like he would share in another session. I canā€™t seem to find that on the drop box link, though. Was that something that was recorded?

Sorry, Sarah; it was never done, and now dear Adam is Gone to be with the Lord.

Thank you for letting me know, Pastor Bayly. The talk I listened to was definitely helpful and did touch somewhat on our situation in a way that gave us some helpful things to consider and share with my family. Iā€™m thankful that one was recorded and I can tell your congregation truly suffered a great loss at the death of Dr. Spaetti.

2 Likes

Thanks for this podcast. It was so pastoral and encouraging. And I love the angle on burying someone as a way to show love to the person- that you love him/her so much that you share a tender care for the body. I had explained to people before the reason for burial is that it is faith in God to believe in the resurrection that is why we should bury. But I really like the angle of tender care for the dead- loving the whole person.

I feel the same way with the dear saint about going to a memorial service where the person has already been cremated.

6 Likes

Just a quick follow-upā€¦I mentioned before how timely this was, but it turned out to be even more so than I realized then. My grandma passed away early Saturday morning. She had suffered for the last few years with atypical Parkinsonism, progressing into dementia. My parents have cared for her for most of that time, and in the past few weeks she had declined to the point that they called hospice in as they were unable to get her to eat (they were already patiently hand feeding her for the last couple of years) or even really wake up and respond to them. We were anticipating some difficult decisions as my grandpa had brought up the possibility of a feeding tube, but she herself had said before her illness that she did not want one. Listening to the talk from Dr. Spaetti was so helpful because it seemed she really did fall into that one exception category he mentioned. But it turned out that another nugget I took away from the talk was true for us- I believe my parents truly wanted to honor the Lord and my Dadā€™s parents in all of this and were praying for wisdom to navigate this time well, and the Lord was merciful in that the difficult possibilities turned out to not even be an issue in the end.
I could go on and on about other encouragements from the podcast/talk, but I did say this would be a ā€œquickā€ follow-upšŸ˜‚. Thank you all again for sharing, many of your words continue to be a help through this week as @01mhoover and I navigate the viewing and funeral with our children and our extended family.

6 Likes

Very sorry to hear of your grandmotherā€™s passing. May God comfort you and your family.

Thank you very much for sharing!

1 Like

A transcript of the talk is available here for any who may be interested.

6 Likes

Thank you once again for your work, Daniel.

1 Like

Thank you, Sarah. It was similar with our Aunt Elaineā€™s death. She lived with us for seven years and the last days it was hard to know what was right and what was wrong, in our care for her. Then we still had Adam, and how comforting it was to follow his counsel. May God bless your mourning and witness to the resurrection, now, as you bury your grandmother.

2 Likes

What a wonderful and helpful read. It is plain to see why Dr. Spaetti was so beloved and remembered so fondly. Thanks for this.

Hey what happened to the conference audio

My grandmother is likely dying, and me and my family were wanting to listen to the conference audio

I sent Josiah the recordings I had till we can get a more official spot to host them.

2 Likes

Pls follow up on this with Warhorn, men. Apparently no one is reading this. Love,

1 Like

The link under this post is now fixed to point here, where you can find all the recordings from that conference.

5 Likes

Thank you all.

1 Like