New Creation, Old Creation

A theological question.

How would you describe the relationship between the Old Creation and the New Creation and what happens in between?

I’m thinking that through Jesus’ death and resurrection the New Creation restores, transforms and builds upon the Old Creation.

But where are we at the moment?

We can see the thread from Old Creation to New in some ways - we see the Lord’s Supper restoring, transforming and building on the Passover and other feasts until the Wedding Feast of the Lamb - but it’s not so clear in others - Christian baptism incorporates all the washings of the Law (cleansing, priestly, John’s etc) but I can’t think of how it will be present in the age to come.

But both of those are from the Law, so maybe not applicable.

We have the appeal to Creation regarding divorce in this age, but no marriage in the age to come, except that between Christ and his Bride.

Most biblical appeals to Creation have to do with man and woman (1 Corinthians 11:7-9), or man and angels (Psalm 8), but descriptions of the age to come (Isaiah 11:6-7) seem to maintain basic parameters like retaining animal identities, eating, etc.

Can we trace everything from the Genesis Creation account through to the New Jerusalem, or is it only only those things specifically mentioned?

What am I doing asking this question so close to Christmas and in such a rambling fashion? I’m on holoday. f you’ve got some response, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

1 Like