Jedobaptism

I see the Australian Bull is at it again, taking the typology of Jim Jordan and applying it to a credobaptist covenant theology.

Certainly an interesting doctrine but very new.
Some criticisms from the Presby side.

It reminds me of a lecture by Sproul recounting a young pastor boasting after delivering a sermon “I’ll bet you’ve never heard that teaching on that passage before” to which Sproul uttered “I’m pretty sure no one else ever has either”.

I’m not sure I understand much of what the author is writing about, but it strikes me that he is selling it as being novel, and that raises the hair on the back of my neck.

4 Likes

Speaking as a credobaptist, I read this and thought of Occam’s Razor: That which can be proved with few arguments, is proved in vain with more.

1 Like

So the piece is filled with crud like this:

The two trees in Eden represented the office of priest (submission to heaven) and king (dominion upon earth). The Man had to submit in childlike faith to the Father in Heaven before God would make the Man a father on the earth (Genesis 3; Genesis 15). Adam did received the promises of food and offspring but under a curse. And he was disqualified from ministry and never reinstated. The ministry passed to his sons, whose offices were human representations of the trees in the Garden. Once again, kingdom was seized and priesthood was desecrated. Noah was the first man to qualify as a priest-king, and he was granted the sword of God as a human cherubim, with authority as a legal image of God to execute murderers made in the image of God. The centurion who stated that he was “a man under authority” understood this idea of delegated power as a legal representative.

Submission to the sword of God (priesthood) qualifies one to bear that sword (kingdom). We see this in Eden, where God cut into Adam but Adam failed to become a sword bearer. Israel was likewise under the sword in Egypt but bore the sword in Canaan as human “cherubim.” Jesus submitted to the sword of His Father and was given all authority in heaven and earth. He bore the sword against Jerusalem (Revelation 19) and now rules the nations with a shepherd’s staff of iron. The saints who submit to voluntary death in baptism also bear that staff against the nations.

Truthfully, Jordan and this guy and Leithart often strike me as not profound, but just wasted. Such love for their words and concepts. Literary narcissism. Why anyone would ever read this sort of crud, except maybe his pastor so he could explain to him why he should stop writing, is beyond me. Here’s a clue: if you read something and it leads you to think you’re dense, likely the writer is a crank propped up by other cranks with a reputation built open announcing they are members of Mensa.

I don’t say these things to hurt the man’s feelings. I don’t know him and wish him no ill, and thus someone should tell him he’s not gifted to study Scripture or do theology, and he needs to resign himself to being just a student under those who are. Love,

7 Likes

That’s some seriously esoteric nonsense.

4 Likes