How to prepare for pastoral ministry (1)

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

1 Like

By, “pastors’ college”, would you mean much the same as a “Bible College”? In the Pentecostal background I grew up in, a lot of the ministry got trained in a Bible College setting - generally, two years, full-time. So I’m genuinely interested to know if you mean (much) the same thing. Thanks!

No, I don’t mean Bible college when I say pastors’ college. But no matter, Bible colleges are dead. Now they’re all universities. I went one year to Columbia Bible College back when it was good and it really was just an institution of higher education with Scripture at the center of its curriculum. What I mean by pastors’ college is a group of men being trained and educated for the ministry under serving pastors, hosted by churches. Check out William Tennent’s Log College. (Excellent book by Archibald Alexander. Also see INGRAM, GEORGE H. “THE STORY OF THE LOG COLLEGE.” Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society (1901-1930) 12, no. 8 (1927): 487-511. THE STORY OF THE LOG COLLEGE on JSTOR). It’s the model although sadly it decayed into Princeton. Love,

4 Likes

OK, thanks for the clarification.

I’m “just” a layman. I’m not preparing for pastoral ministry beyond being active in my church, a leader in my home and community. But I look forward to reading a series (maybe a book someday?) by the shepherd who stated the above. Keep up the good work, sir. I plan to share it with others.

5 Likes