Helpful Marriage: Birth Control

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Pastor Tim. I’m 100% in your camp on all of this (including the land calculations). That was more of an interesting factoid for me to chase down.

I think I understand your point about avoiding language of “aiming to conceive.” But is it not true that we must be practical in such matters? I write “aiming to conceive” as contrasted with my wife and I currently not aiming to conceive (using non-hormonal birth control, i.e., barrier).

Or stating my question differently: is there any point at which a Christian couple is being irresponsible (from a health perspective) for not using birth control?

Perhaps my line of questioning here is striving for certainty/absolutes that I should not be seeking, but rather trusting the Lord.

I’m thinking ahead to when my wife is 40…then 42…etc. How old is too old?

Sarah was 99… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Mike,
There is no “too old.” Age by itself is not a good indicator of responsibility. Older parents are tired, achy, and perhaps self-conscious at t-ball games when strangers wonder whether your 18 year old is cheering for her son or her brother. But older parents are wiser (we hope) and have lots of help (we expect) from our older children.

That said, there will come a time when pregnancies are no longer easy to “achieve” or to maintain (if you’ll forgive the language there). Bodies do wear out and wombs will eventually be retired-by His design and not by our choice. God has fixed the span of our lives and the span of our fertility. If it becomes clear from experience that each pregnancy is likely to miscarry and/or to hurl the mother into a frightening depression, then let these real conditions guide you rather than your age.

On the other hand, if health is only an academic concern (“but what if…”) then have faith and carry on! Our most recent children have come along in my 40’s and my wife was older than 39 for our youngest. We’ve communed with fatigue and arthritis has been our close companion. Changing a diaper when you can barely type on a keyboard is…a labor of love. But what a blessing these two maniacs have been to us and they only get more hilarious every day.

Our history: We have five still with us. There is a gap of several years between #'s 2 and 3. Many losses during that time and a doctor finally diagnosed the probable cause but said, “with treatment you still have a 30% chance of miscarriage–do you really want to risk going through it again? After all, you already have two happy healthy children.” We risked it. Well, we trusted God. We were hopeful that He would give us more children and were willing to be hurt by Him. Faithful are the wounds of a friend, after all, so how much more those of our Father?

He has given us 3 more to have and raise. He has taken several more to Himself. And we are blessed, indeed. If we had considered our age we may have missed out on some of these guys.

14 Likes

Thank you for sharing, Andy. Your message encouraged me.

My attitude as a “life planner” in this area tends toward a James 4:13 mentality. Trying to map out our family size and child spacing, as though we are in control. I am convicted here, particularly as I think about my sins as a father to be repented of each day (i.e., there are plenty of troubles/worries/sins of today to be focused on, not my future plans!).

Dear Mike,

Yes, I think I know how you mean it, but it’s the very premise of married couples having a choice regarding how many children they want that the church has always opposed. God commanded us to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth, and He made man and woman such that they make love and fulfill the command. But now, in the past 75 to 100 years, we have decided the burden of proof lies on us to justify having a baby/aiming to have a baby. The default for almost every Christian in the developed world today is stewardship of fertility, being practical in lovemaking so we don’t overdo it with the world’s resources, the bedrooms of our house, or our ability to pay for our children to get a classical Christian education; and to show ourselves solicitous toward our wife’s body which is, we say sotto voce, wearing down or out.

Now of course we’re sympathetic (I’m sympathetic) to the mother’s health, but I’m sceptical when most people talk about it, that it’s not the real reason. In the years of pastoral ministry I’ve served, I’d only have 3-5 cases where I’d be open (or was encouraging) of the use of true contraception (not hormonal birth control) to protect the mother’s body and/or life. So we need to be self-aware of how squirrelly we are in this discussion.

Repeatedly, what I want to see and hear is a faithful predisposition to lovemaking in marriage, always accompanied with that desire universal across all Scripture (with Onan the exception that proves the rule) that God blesses our lovemaking with fruit. Unless we have this orientation, this first-commitment, this posture, this confession of faith and obedience leading our marital lives, we’ll be conformed to the patterns of this evil world which is lost in the ebb tide of stewardship and the endless facts and uncertainties and costs and limitations that have come to dominate any discussion of fruitfulness of the marriage bed today, in the church. In other words, if we can’t conceive of the previous millennia of God’s people speaking as we speak and asking the questions we ask and approaching lovemaking as we approach it, it’s unlikely this is due to our having progressed or evolved in economics or physiology or pharmacology… It’s more likely we’ve evolved in sin and error.

I don’t mean to diminish your need to think these things through with others, and commend you for doing it here with godly brothers who have asked the same questions and want to help strengthen you in your faith. But I do keep driving back to first things because we often don’t really believe and confess the first things we believe that we believe and confess.

WIth affection, Tim

9 Likes

Coming back to this thread again, I’d still like to see more development of the pastoral side of the issue. It’s one thing to know why a particular teaching is correct and biblical in the abstract but quite often another thing to know how to live it out in practice. And if the sheep do not see a way to overcome the challenges they face in living according to some particular teaching, they will either ignore it or be crushed by the burden of trying to fulfill it. Indeed, what I found most striking about the podcasts was hearing @tbbayly voice his concern about not laying heavy burdens on the sheep while not lifting a finger to help them (Matt. 23:4). So what can we do to practically to help rather than burden the sheep?

It’s one thing to recognize that we have evolved in sin and error, and another thing to help God’s people live godly lives within a socioeconomic structure that did not exist in previous millennia. In all prior history, economic production occurred within the household, but now parents leave the house to work and children spend most of their waking lives under the supervision of strangers. Thus, the modern Christian is faced with the challenge of raising his children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord even as they spend most of their day in the company of non-Christian teachers and peers. Those who advise couples to not have more children than they can educate well at a Christian private school may be wrong, but at least they recognize the challenge that parents face and provide guidance on how to navigate it. Simply pointing to duty with an admonishment not to fear, as has been proffered on this thread, comes off to me as a “be warmed and filled” sort of response.

One weakness of this hypothetical is that it confounds the issue of raising children in the Lord with the peculiar duties of a Christian wife to a pagan husband. Also, I think that outside apprenticeship and tutoring typically began at an age substantially later than children begin school in America, especially considering that our governmental and corporate overlords would put every child in all-day preschool if they could. So a more relevant hypothetical would be a Christian man and wife facing the prospect of handing off their children at age 5 (or younger) to be mostly raised by pagan tutors until adulthood. And this is a key point here – it’s not an issue of providing a “good Christian education” – it’s whether children are being raised as Christians at all. If children spend most of their waking moments throughout their childhood in the presence of non-believing peers and under the indoctrination of the secular state, how much can it be said that they are being raised in the nurture and admonition of the Lord?

I don’t understand the import of her children being “holy”. Certainly you don’t mean that the Apostle is saying that we can expect that children will grow into genuine faith apart from a Christian upbringing and the ordinary means of grace?

When my wife and I married, some people advised us to delay having children so we could get to know each other better. We ignored this advice, and our first child was born on our first anniversary, and our second followed nineteen months later. But my wife found taking care of an infant and toddler very difficult, and requested that we delay the arrival of later children. Had I refused, she would have submitted, but such willingness made it even more difficult for me to refuse since I knew my wife would not have made the request unless she felt very burdened, so I acceded to her request. Then when we reached five children at the age of ten and under, my wife requested that we stop at that number, and I again acceded to her request. Were those the right decisions to make? I don’t know. My wife did not face any serious challenges to her physical and mental health, so maybe she was being selfish in not wanting to work so hard. But then again, it was she and not I who was bearing most of the burden of parenting (and homeschooling), including one child who many years later received a belated “special needs” diagnosis. From a pastoral point of view, is there a place for accommodating weakness in matters that are not sinful in their essence?

I will end this comment by noting that fertility is now declining to below-replacement levels in most countries around the world, culturally Christian or not, and in spite of governmental attempts to raise fertility. This clearly indicates that there are deep socioeconomic structural factors affecting fertility that go beyond a mere turning away from historic Christian teaching. Unless these factors are recognized and the church advises and assists the sheep in overcoming the challenges posed by modern society, my expectation is that encouragement to unreserved marital fruitfulness will be largely doomed to failure. If having only as many children as one can afford to educate at a private Christian school is a bad answer, what is a better answer?

1 Like

It’s one thing to recognize that we have evolved in sin and error, and another thing to help God’s people live godly lives within a socioeconomic structure that did not exist in previous millennia. In all prior history, economic production occurred within the household, but now parents leave the house to work and children spend most of their waking lives under the supervision of strangers. Thus, the modern Christian is faced with the challenge of raising his children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord even as they spend most of their day in the company of non-Christian teachers and peers. Those who advise couples to not have more children than they can educate well at a Christian private school may be wrong, but at least they recognize the challenge that parents face and provide guidance on how to navigate it. Simply pointing to duty with an admonishment not to fear, as has been proffered on this thread, comes off to me as a “be warmed and filled” sort of response.

Dear Joel,

I’m uncomfortable with what seems to be incipient (if not developed) in your argument above: namely, that the debate over whether or not Scripture commands the marriage bed to be fruitful may not be had without this or that or the other thing being done to help the one being warned or encouraged concerning the truth and abidingness of this commandment. Am I hearing you correctly, that defending this commandment against all the attacks against it rampant without and within the Church today, is something approximating loveless, cheap, unreflective, Pharisaical, disconnected, ill-considered in light of present cultural realities that make it really, really hard (and the Church doesn’t help!), and so on?

I’m certain you understand the limits of this sort of argument. After years of working along with us online, side-by-side, I’m sure you are not convinced that we don’t have compassion for our sheep and don’t do things to help them carry their burdens (just as they have always helped us carry ours).

You write, “It’s one thing to recognize that we have evolved in sin and error, and another thing to help God’s people live godly lives within a socioeconomic structure that did not exist in previous millennia.”

Must this one thing not be said until we’ve proven we help people in that one place? If you read what I wrote directly above once more, you will note that the context is settling the doctrinal foundations of what is truth and obedience as opposed to falsehood and disobedience. Reading the quote from your comment leading this comment of mine, above, leaves me wondering if you would put up with this sort of complaining about how hard obedience is if you’d given a command to your teenager and he spoke thus?

Certainly I’m not opposed to listening to teenagers’ complaints and being patient with them. This too is how we show and prove our love, but to be dissatisfied with a simple statement of the core truths and commands of Scripture regarding fruitfulness in marriage because it fails to acknowledge all the ways it is so very hard today, then calling into question the love and care and concern and pastoral sensitivity and work in support of obedience to those commands by those pastors defending these truths and commands? I’d prefer readers would assume that, for instance, Mary Lee and I worked very hard to support our flock in their obedience of Scripture’s commands when we called them to do so.

This past week, I was talking with an esteemed brother here in Germany about how helpful and wise I’ve found you through the years, so of course I take the above comments somewhat in stride as you compare us unfavorably, for instance, to those who “at least… recognize the challenge that parents face and [who] provide guidance on how to navigate it;” as you say we are “simply pointing to duty with an admonishment not to fear;” as you say what we’ve written “comes off to me as a ‘be warmed and filled’ sort of response”… Let me say reading this was demoralizing.

Anyhow, to your points, we have almost thirty grandchildren and Mary Lee has served as the doula about 100 times for the women of the church, never charging a cent for the work which always involves significant hours, sometimes more than a score and even across several nights. Mary Lee and I have spent countless hours counselling and confronting and working to heal child sexual abuse, child rape, wife abuse, child abandonment, child neglect, lesbianism, sododmy, sexual dysphoria, laziness, pride, rudeness, absence of discipline, harsh discipline, husbands and wives hitting each other, cleaning filth homes, helping with filthy hearts by listening to confessions of that filth, looking for jobs for young and older men, helping dads navigate conflict in the workplace, loaning pickups, trailers, and cars, hosting endless groups in our home, hosting brothers and sisters in Christ from out of town, hosting endless wedding and baby showers, praying for the children of the church, hugging the children of the church in the door of the church each Lord’s day, helping couples think through house purchases and giving advice when those purchases are concluded and it turns out the basement floods, starting a Christian school for the children of the church, running that Christian school for years without pay and without any break for the tuition of our own children…

I must be an idiot to talk this way.

Yes, in this—as in all areas of obedience—it’s hard to do as God commands. And yes, of course our context today has blessings to that obedience and difficulties to that obedience previous generations of the people of God did not enjoy and suffer. (If you question the “blessings” and “enjoy” part, think of our congregation a year back or so having $1,250,000 extra income sent to our parents from our non-federal government, for starters; and this isn’t even to mention washing machines.)

Let me leave this apologia, but first drop this excerpt from my book to fathers titled Daddy Tried which presents our constant sensitivity and work to help those discovering that obeying God isn’t easy—at any time—and brothers and sisters in the Church must help one another:

You’ll Need Help

Maybe you’re on board with all this. On the other hand, maybe you’re having a difficult enough time finding the faith to raise one child, let alone think about having more. If so, trust God and don’t lose heart. That’s what the rest of this book is all about.

Now you’re ready to read one of my favorite quotes: "There’s only one adventurer in the world . . . the father of a family. Even the most desperate adventurers are nothing compared with him. "

As we get into the nitty-gritty of fatherhood in the next few chapters, remember this: nothing a man does requires the faith in God and hard work in the face of fear and pain that fatherhood requires. Next to fatherhood, serving as president of the United States or spending the night freezing in Mt. Everest’s death zone is child’s play.

But faith brings rewards that are inconceivable to the faithless. So it is with fatherhood. Fatherhood’s trials and sorrows are far, far outnumbered by fatherhood’s blessings and joys.

In the last decade or so of his life, my dad saw the return of two of his prodigal children. I was one of them, and the other has helped me write this book. During those years, despite Dad having his beautiful and godly wife by his side, and despite being sought after for speaking engagements, and despite having a number of books selling well, Dad said to us more than a few times that his greatest joy was his children.

At the time he was saying this, David and I probably scratched our heads and looked at one another cross-eyed, thinking, Me? You? What on earth is wrong with him?

Joke—sort of.

But now, together, David and I have ten children and twenty-seven grandchildren, with more on the way. So yes, we have come to know exactly what Dad was saying and how he felt.

What greater joy has there ever been than the Father who, following His Son’s baptism, spoke from heaven: “This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!” (Mt 17:5).

Remembering the Father Almighty’s declaration of approval of His only begotten Son there at the river side, Christian fathers today take joy in beloved sons who walk in faithfulness. This gives their fathers the freedom to age and die with faith that those sons will be used by God to carry on covenant faithfulness to a thousand generations.

Do you find the thought of cooperating with God in raising up faithful children overwhelming? If so, please keep two things in mind:

First, what today is called the “extended family” is a better reflection of biblical households than what we now call the “nuclear family.” In other words, when fathers in Scripture are commanded with their wives to “be fruitful,” that command was carried out in extended family households. People didn’t live on cul-de-sacs with dad, mom, and their 1.9 kids. They lived next to, or with, grandmothers and grandfathers, sons and daughters-in-law, daughters and sons-in-law, aunts and uncles, grandsons and granddaughters, not to mention employees, if they were well-off.

My wife, Mary Lee, spends a good portion of her life painting, cleaning up the kitchen, babysitting, serving as a doula, and playing with her grandchildren in the service of our own and our church’s young families. Her daughters and daughters-in-law, along with a number of young mothers of the church, love her because of her constant service. This helps our congregation fulfill the command of God to “be fruitful and multiply.” In fact, Mary Lee has an integral role in our extended family’s fruitfulness. We don’t live with our children and children’s children, but we live close enough to serve them and others in our church.

If you and your wife are going to obey God’s commands, you need help. Lots of it. And you need to set up your life in such a way that, if your parents are godly and support you in your obedience, they can help. So start thinking in terms of households and extended families rather than the nuclear family (husband, wife, and children).

But what if your parents aren’t believers and are actively hostile to your fruitfulness? Or to the biblical discipline of your children?
Certainly such a sad state of affairs makes it much harder for you to live by faith, but there’s a second thing for us to keep in mind. God has given us the church for our blessing and help. She is the “Jerusalem from above; she is our mother” (Gal 4:26). The account of the family life of the first church in Jerusalem found in the first chapters of Acts demonstrates that the apostolic church saw itself, and functioned, as one household:

And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need. Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved. (2:44–47)

And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them. And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all. For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales and lay them at the apostles’ feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need. (4:32–35)

God commands us to walk by faith, and He gives us the blessed help of the household of faith. Give yourself to her and be blessed by her service. If you are going to be obediently fruitful, you need support. It’s not a necessity to live with extended family members who are supportive of your obedience of faith, but it does help, doesn’t it? So find yourself a church that will support you in this hard work.

If necessary, move to be near such a church. Why would we move to a farm with better soil, a city with a good university, or a state where we can make better money, yet not consider moving to be part of a church that would support and help us in the hard work of childbearing and child rearing?

Be creative in taking steps to refuse to be conformed to this loveless and sterile and unfruitful world. Be proactive and surround yourselves with (supportive) family members. Also a church committed to helping you in your life-consuming work. Then, in the end, trust that God Himself will provide you and your family the help you need, and that His loving provision will be above and beyond what you could ever think or ask of Him. He is faithful, and He will do it.

As always, dear brother,
With love,

6 Likes

Of course not. My point is that a Christian upbringing and the ordinary means of grace are not at all the same thing as “provide a good Christian education.” Many illiterate Christians have been brought up in the faith by illiterate parents making use of the ordinary means of grace.

If we’re going to speak of the necessity of training up our children in the Lord, I’m all for the exhortation. The moment that requirement, through equivocation, ends up meaning Joe Schmoe feels like he should stop having children because he only makes $39,000 per year, and that’s barely enough to give a quality education to one child, even with scholarships, we need to reevaluate whether we’re freeing people from improper burdens or whether we’re all just assuming that nobody can be expected to live in poverty for Christ. That assumption has the side benefit that none of the rest of us have to cough up any money to help, either.

Paul’s exhortation to the women wasn’t “be careful not to have more children than you can homeschool effectively.” Paul’s exhortation was to trust that the children were covenant children, even though they would get way less Christian education than if their father was a believer.

6 Likes

Tim, I am sorry my words were demoralizing, and they were not in any case directed towards you. I will try to communicate more plainly.

The issue of marital fruitfulness has never been explicitly addressed at my church, I suppose because it is not on the radar screen of other session members. For my part, I am struggling to figure out what to say, and my interaction with this thread has been an attempt to work through the issues on my mind. I’m sure the issue of “stewardship” will come up because that is the water we swim in, but I don’t perceive that will be the most difficult issue to overcome. Instead, I that know our people face real challenges, so I want to be prepared to address that in a pastoral manner. And Tim, I never had any doubt that you engaged in all the activities for which you spoke like an idiot, but I need to figure out what can be done with the people and resources at my own church. The person I am most concerned with pointing to duty with an admonishment not to fear is myself. Indeed, the most common complaint I receive from my children is that I “expect them to be perfect.”

4 Likes

As I would have thought, we are at the same place, in time. Maybe tell your precious sons and daughters that God expects them to be perfect, and you’re just trying to help them hear Him so they may fall on Jesus and plead for the covering of His blood and righteousness. I remember Larry Crab saying that faith is real when, if God abandons us, we fall flat on our face. It’s true with having children. Grace alone.

Love and affection,

Jesus, your blood and righteousness
my beauty are, my glorious dress;
mid flaming worlds, in these arrayed,
with joy shall I lift up my head.

Bold shall I stand in that great day;
who can a word against me say?
Fully absolved through these I am
from sin and fear, from guilt and shame.

Lord, I believe your precious blood,
which at the very throne of God
pleads for the captives’ liberty,
was also shed in love for me.

When from the dust of death I rise
to claim my mansion in the skies,
this then shall be all my only plea:
Jesus has lived and died for me.

Jesus, be worshiped endlessly!
Your boundless mercy has for me,
for me and all your hands have made,
an everlasting ransom paid.

4 Likes

Maybe. My own conviction is that the use of contraception is not sinful in the very act, so what matters is the purpose behind it. That doesn’t mean I believe it is fine for every man to do what is right in his own eyes or that it is right to have only as many children as one can educate at a good Christian school, but I’m also not comfortable with formally instructing people at my church that it is a sin to use contraception for any purpose beyond protecting the life and health of the mother. Basically, I am happy in a glass-half-full way to see people sacrifice earthly success to have more children even if they do not have as many children as possible. My view is that it is best to bear patiently with weakness in a strongly anti-natal environment, and if anyone thinks that is too wishy-washy and compromising, then I ask them to pray for me.

The topic touched a raw nerve because the the cost of housing has skyrocketed in my metro area, and I find it hard to tell people that God wants more marital fruitfulness when they are already struggling as it is. There comes a point where it is very difficult to just live more cheaply because zoning regulations have essentially cut off all the lower rungs of the housing ladder throughout the metro area, and my church is not in a position to help in the way that other churches have. Now that I think about it, the only way that most families are going to be able to follow God’s command is by leaving our church and moving to a state with cheaper housing. That’s fine with me – we’ve always been happy for people to leave our church if they were able to grow and serve God better elsewhere – but what does it mean to be a local church when growing families are better off not at the church? And this is just not a theoretical question – it’s been happening. Some years ago my wife hosted a women’s Bible study at our house that grew so large that at one time 23 children were present along with the mothers. That’s gone now – we no longer have the numbers to run any women’s Bible study. Too many families moved away, and other mothers started working full time.

About thirty years ago, our pastor planted our church in a wealthy neighborhood of the city because it was close to the university and far from any other conservative Reformed church. Despite years of outreach, no one from the neighborhood has ever attended our church, I suppose because we don’t offer what a wealthy person looks for in a church. Instead, we have had a dedicated set of members who do value what our church offers and would drive in from other parts of the metro area, some of them long distances. But the rising cost of housing everywhere has become a huge challenge. Our weekly worship attendance used to be 90-100 adults and children, but now it has dropped to 60-70, with the biggest deficit in the 20s/30s/starting family demographic. Families have left our church to find cheaper housing in other states, and the wealthy and high-income people moving into the metro area haven’t showed up at our church. And it’s just not us – another church in our presbytery recently closed its doors because too many people moved away. So far, God has been pleased to continue to sustain our church, but I’m trying to figure out how to be a church in an area becoming too expensive for traditional family life.

4 Likes

This is a common theme with city churches, especially near universities, and isn’t limited to big coastal cities. I can think of one right here in Cincinnati. The move away might just be half an hour instead of half the country away, but people get married, start having kids, and then leave because the whole lifestyle doesn’t work for families.

That often leads to a revolving door of young people, but your situation is different it seems, possibly because of the housing economics.

Very sorry for the difficulty. Perhaps the answer is to stick around ministering to smaller families or couples that can’t/don’t leave and singles, or perhaps the answer is to (gradually?) switch to being a mission to those who are in the area now. But those fields are hard. Easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to be saved.

3 Likes

There it is again. As I keep repeating because the straw man keeps getting repeated, no one here has ever said the obligation of God’s people is to “have as many children as possible.” What an awful way to put it, but that’s consistently how the pro-stewardship-of-the-womb/marriage bed/marital love Christians state their opponents’ position. They claim the church across 2,000 years has kept telling Christians it is God’s command that they “have as many children as possible.”

Think about that. Why do they repeat this canard? Think about that. Carefully.

Then think about the other ways defenders of “contraception” could describe the Biblical and universal teaching of the church across 2,000 years. Here’s one, and it’s not original with me: “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth.” Here’s another: “Children are a blessing from the Lord. Happy is the man whose quiver is full.”

And these modern type of womb-stewards respond, “See! I told you so! They say the only man who’s happy is the man whose quiver is ‘full!’ Didn’t I tell you so? See, like I said, they say the Biblical command is to have AS MANY children as you can. They’re full quiverists!”

Right, but may I point out I was only quoting the Word of God? But maybe you want to label God Himself a “full quiverist?” If so, knock your socks off.

Rhetoric sometimes doesn’t help your argument, but rather reveals your heart.

Joel: My view is that it is best to bear patiently with weakness in a strongly anti-natal environment,

Absolutely. Our day is so very wicked that we have to bear patiently with all kinds of sins, the use of child-murdering “contraceptives” included. But does this necessarily mean we don’t command souls to stop murdering their little babies trying to attach themselves to their mother’s womb? Bearing with weakness needs to be distinguished from mollycoddling from fear of the results of condemning the genocide of baby-slaughter which is much more frequent from contraception than Planned Parenthood’s abortuaries.

Joel: Too many families moved away, and other mothers started working full time.

Completely sympathetic. One year we lost a full 25% of our congregation. We too live in a transient community that it’s very hard on many levels to settle down in.

Joel, I respect you and feel your pain. The problems with Biblical Christianity are everywhere in the Western World. They’re here in Germany, dear brother. I spent my life dealing with the realpolitik of Scripture’s doctrines of sexuality, and watching the departure of hordes.

But I can tell you with absolute certainty:

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee.
I lay in dust, life’s glory dead,
and from the ground there blossoms red,
life that shall endless be.

Love,

9 Likes

@jtbayly
… Very sorry for the difficulty. Perhaps the answer is to stick around ministering to smaller families or couples that can’t/don’t leave and singles, or perhaps the answer is to (gradually?) switch to being a mission to those who are in the area now

Agreed. @Joel - if you move away, somewhat, from the paradigm of the standard ‘families’ church, you could find you have opportunities, just not the ones you were initially looking for.

Bear with me on this one, but one church I was part of did not actually begin as the standard families’ church. It actually started as a large group of young adult and older singles, with one or two married couples then w/out children, and a couple of families. In time many of the singles did marry, and fruitfully as well.

Actually, this is how our church started out, and over the years we’ve had additional younger adults join the church, get married, and have children.

The problem is that far too little housing is being built, so living costs have been skyrocketing. There are about 3.3 million people in the metro area. Median per capita income is about $44K per year and median household income is about $91K per year, but the median single-family house price is about $840K and the median annual rent is about $40K. I’ve heard that similar things have been happening in the southeast UK.

2 Likes