Fr. Bill Mouser anticipates the presence of the Lord

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

10 Likes

@Fr_Bill it has been a pleasure. I look forward to the resurrection where we can speak in person.

3 Likes

Prayers for you and your family Fr Bill.

1 Like

Guys, don’t tell anyone, but one of the most unexpected blessings that I’ve enjoyed from this forum over the last few years has been gleaning from the wisdom of an Anglican.

I have been very thankful, @Fr_Bill, for your sage perspective, your broad knowledge, and your anecdotes. I am richly encouraged to read of your faith as you prepare to face this wave of death. May you finish well, and keep your eyes fixed on Christ, your inheritance.

“I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.” John 11:25

“So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

9 Likes

I also have been helped both by your books and by your interaction here, Fr. Mouser. It is such a blessing to watch faithful saints go boldly into their final battle ahead of me.

1 Like

Blockquote
First, the God we worship created all life. He sent his Son to suffer death so that those who trust in Him can live forever with him. Though we all die, it is our fallen bodies which perish, which are raised again in the great Resurrection. Eternal life is God’s greatest reward to those who trust his Son.
Second, disease in Scripture is always a token of fallenness, of sin and corruption. We fight disease and death because they are the utter opposite of what our Heavenly Father is working for among those who trust His Son. Our Lord healed many of their diseases and maladies. That generosity was one of the most obvious signs that he came from God in Heaven.

What a remarkable thing to say about disease! I’ve never thought about it that way, and yet it seems so obvious. Thanks for sharing your wisdom Fr. Mouser. I’ll be praying for you.

3 Likes

I have told Fr. Bill about this already, but it is worth repeating. I read this poI st on Thursday, while I was preparing for the memorial of a dear sister here who went home to the Lord after almost a whole year of battling against cancer. I too was puzzled by the prayer to be spared from sudden death. I mulled over it for the next couple of days, and while speaking during the service, what Fr. Bill wrote just came out of my mouth, and I shared that our sister had a whole year to prepare to see the Lord, and that she was prepared. [When I told her the day before her homecoming that not a hair can fall from her apart from the will of the Father, a big tear welled up in her eyes- she was ready to see the Lord]. I turned to the congregation and say, “Are you preparing yourself to see the Lord.” Unbeknownst to me, there were many members of the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra members present- because the husband of the sister played for the MSO for four decades. I was glad I had a chance to share the gospel to many.

Thanks Fr. Bill, and thanks Tim for sharing this letter!

9 Likes