First of two sections added to final version of Dobbs v Jackson

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

It seems like only Justice Thomas is ready to follow the logic of Dobbs into Griswold, Lawrence, Obergefell, etc. Maybe the other four are just keeping their powder dry, but more likely (IMHO), they all find their inner Chief Justice Roberts at some point.

4 Likes

@FaithAlone
My take on things as well.

What I also found interesting is that one earlier draft of Samuel Alito’s judgement had quoted this critic of the original Roe v Wade judgement: Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

You’re probably right in the near-term, but a precedent has still been established. If the country Balkanizes further and states begin to repent and stand up, there’s nothing that keeps overturning these cases off the table, especially Obergefell.

2 Likes

I think there’s a fair chance that the Bruen decision precipitates a nullification crisis. States like Massachusetts and Maryland still don’t observe the Firearm Owners Protection Act from 1986. I’m going to be pretty surprised if they all just say, “Oh, okay” and start issuing CCW permits.

There’s a lot going on, but suffice it to say that enough things are in motion now that the future may not look a lot like the present.

1 Like