Clearnote Shepherds' Conference: Spirit and Truth

Originally published at: Clearnote Shepherds' Conference: Spirit and Truth - Warhorn Media

Worship is the theme of our shepherd’s conference this year titled, “Spirit and Truth.” The word “liturgy” simply means “work of the people.” Worship is the work of the people. Are we doing our work well as we plan and lead worship? There’s been much talk about worship and liturgy the past ten or twenty…

5 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Radiohead is here

Thanks for sharing this information, brother. Do husbands and wives who attend the conference usually bring their kids?

Hi Chris!

You and I talked on the phone at least once, and I’d be delighted to meet you in person this February if you could swing it. As Tim noted in his post, we do not provide any childcare for this conference. So, typically, the couples in your situation who have come from out of town have not brought their children.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions!

But your son is young, right? Maybe it wouldn’t be too hard for you and your wife to care for him during talks and meals? We have a lot of space at back of meeting room as well as a cry room.
Love,

2 Likes

Glad to see the signup for this conference! When does early bird registration end?

Hi Daniel, early bird ends December 28th.

2 Likes

Thanks @ldweeks and @tbbayly for following up. We have a 4 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son. Sounds like we’d probably need to plan to have them stay with someone here at home while we travel out. We’ll see if we can work it out.

This may deserve its own thread, but I think it has to do with what this conference will be about.

Last week, I was at home with my daughters and searching for a lyric video for “Savior of the Nations Come,” one of Luther’s hymns and a personal favorite. I stumbled across this video from a Lutheran organist where he contrasts the original tune with the one Luther wrote. What is clear, if you listen, is that Luther greatly simplified the tune to make it more singable.

The lyrics were written by Ambrose, an early church bishop who, IIRC, discipled Augustine. Luther took the lyrics (which would have been in Latin), and translated them into the common language, and did the same thing with the music.

2 Likes

Thanks for this Ben. He does a good job explaining how Luther updated the plainsong to what was singable for commoners of his day. Keep in mind that Luther attended and preached at the commoners’ St. Mary’s Church and not the aristocrats’ Castle Church a few blocks away. Now let’s remember that Luther did this five centuries ago and we have our work cut out for us writing new settings and new songs in the musical language of our day. In other words, Luther’s principle of the vulgar tongue in Scripture and song is still true today, and our vulgar tongue isn’t 16th century Wittenberg. Love,

1 Like