Christians reviling authority: racism or face masks—take your pick

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

1 Like

How telling is it that the featured image is Soy Face?

1 Like

Denis Haack just published this article in support of Black Lives Matter. Black conservatives like Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell, and Larry Elder would say these 20 pages are dripping with white guilt and virtue signaling, among other criticisms. But those great thinkers have already been dismissed by the left with a host of racist labels and name calling because the left doesn’t have the intellectual fortitude to stand up to these intellectual giants.

The following comes from Stephen Wolfe:

When the evangelical elite talk about “persuasion” in the public sphere, they usually assume the following ethos:

1. Punch Right; thoughtfully engage Left.

2. Ascribe good faith to the Left (despite many reasons not to) and ascribe bad faith to the Right.

3. Attack the Right to gain credibility with the Left, especially when it’s about the Right’s “hypocrisy”.

4. “Credibility” with the Left is always the form that shapes the rhetoric.

5. Persuade the Left not of ideas, but of your worthiness for toleration and willingness to be “respectable.”

6. Treat every accusation or moral condemnation from the Left, no matter how crazy, as an opportunity for public self-criticism.

7. Theologize every concept of the Left to the extent that you can gaslight those who call it a leftist concept.

8. Never morally condemn the Left; always morally condemn the Right.

9. Assert a fantastical moral political theory that would magically appear without the use of civil power.

10. Assert only those narratives of history or events that CNN would air.

11. Never lead or begin an outrage mob; always join it and Christianize your wing of it. Condemn Christians who do not express outrage.

12. Conceal cowardice and passivity with words like “prudence,” “wisdom,” and “Christian witness.”

13. Question the motives, hypocrisy, principles, and winsomeness of every Christian who might act or speak politically for some end that bothers the Left.

14. Act in confidence and with resolve only when criticizing the Right or when advocating for something the Left agrees with.

6 Likes

These 14 items are very well-put. It’s helpful for me to remember that the Left holds a morality that is a funhouse mirror version of the Bible’s morality, and the Left’s morality is what dominates our culture. To the extent that we adopt the Left’s morality as true and valid, we paint ourselves into the corner and find ourselves opposed to the will of God.

Freeing our minds from the morality preached by the media, schools at all levels and our new robber-barons is imperative for shaping the Church for what comes next. Churches that adopt the dominant paradigm will be swallowed by the world in the exact same way and for the exact same reason that PCUSA, UCC, The Episcopal Church, etc were all swallowed by the world generations ago.

4 Likes

“If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.” – John 11:48

At first glance one might think that the Jewish leaders that eventually condemned Jesus of Nazareth were indeed honoring those authorities God had placed over them - the Romans. One could even argue that in doing so they were advancing God’s plan of salvation for the whole world, for they had turned Jesus over to this authority and pressed for his execution.

So Pilate said to Him, “You do not speak to me? Do You not know that I have authority to release You, and I have authority to crucify You?” Jesus answered, “You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above; for this reason he who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.” – John 19:10-11

I submit here Jesus properly honored Pilate by (1) recognizing the source of Pilate’s authority, and (2) pressing that he was in dereliction of his duty before God and His moral law (Romans 13:3-4) by participating in the unjust condemnation of an innocent man. And that honorable rebuke hit home, for Pilate responded by making efforts to release Jesus.

I agree that a low view of authority within the church is a sign of its worldliness. However, an unqualified submission to authority is just as dangerous. An unwillingness to honor Christ as the ultimate and unchallenged sovereign to whom every authority on earth must bow and whose word every ruler must obey was the sin of the Sanhedrin in their civil ministerial role.

Until the people of God are taught the context and scope of the authority of the civil magistrate and the means of resolution laid out in Scripture we will fall into the ditch on the other side of the road. I don’t doubt y’all have addressed this elsewhere; I just wanted to make sure such balance was stated in this thread.

5 Likes