Bayly's daily

Central breach in wall of God’s truth today isn’t soteriology, economics, politics, eschatology. It’s anthropology. He made man alone in His Image. He made man male & female. Man is conceived in sin. Where are the shepherds standing in that breach? #goodshepherd

3 Likes

And Wayne Grudem publishes through Zondervan. Twenty years ago I told him he was wrong to do so. Why authors are willing to have their books published by a publisher who promotes the most awful rebellion against God (IVP/Zondervan, for instance) is beyond me. Love,

1 Like

Politico: “By-the-book DA confronts unpredictable opponent in Trump”

Assuming readers’ stupidity, our media masters go on and on abt Alvin Bragg being a “by the book” DA. Right.

So what does “the book” say about prosecuting a former president?

But of course it’s unprecedented. There IS no “book” on it. Unless, of course, Mr. Bragg is so foolish as to claim that Donald Trump being the former president has nothing to do with his indictment. At which point we all hoot and holler with laughter. What a banana republic charade.

(And I add that I have no doubt every president and presidential candidate could be prosecuted for something any day of the year.)

What do lig duncan and tim keller have in common? Sheep may safely graze (7): when there is no danger - Warhorn Media

Audio of SHEEP MAY SAFELY GRAZE (7): WHEN THERE IS NO DANGER

When they threaten the pastor that if he keeps preaching that way, they will stop paying him The kindness of the Lord: a pastor's life (17) - Warhorn Media

1 Like

The picture at the top of these articles brings tears to my eyes. It’s home. I drove by that church building hundreds of times and always wondered about the church that met within. I wondered about the grave stones. I wondered. I hadn’t connected the dots that I knew some of the folks who attended there. What’s more, my mom and sisters are very good friends with some of the children of the saints you shepherded. What joy.

2 Likes

“I’ve discovered the frustrating thing about being a pastor is that you never can see what you’ve done. You never can take pride in it.

Maybe this is a universal principle that pastors need to engage early in their vocation as a shepherd. This is exactly what I ran into in my first solo pastorate (after a one-year internship in a different congregation). I do nope that the pastor’s college, or someone in its preaching department, will lay this principle out for all to understand, and then to suggest a range of additional activities that a pastor might pursue in order to overcome the chief frustration of his chief labors.

You mentioned vacuums you’d purchased at that school auction. Did you ever get any relief from them?

My relief came in two ways: (1) writing and publishing a book on the interpretation of Proverbs, a topic that held great interest for me while in seminary, and (2) learning to crochet.

The book went through two printings, before the publisher (always looking for a blockbuster to promote even further) decided mine was not going to be a blockbuster. However, it did lead to a commission from that publisher for a Bible study in Proverbs which has been in print for 40 years and over half a million copies. Its royalties have paid the propetry taxes on my house for all these years.

The crochet came about almost by accident. My wife and I devoted several hours during the week to prayer together. She would crochet during that time, even when speaking her prayers out loud (our manner of prayer). Her hands were productive, mine were empty. So, I asked her - show me how you do that.

Easy peasy! Once you’ve got the knack of it, your hands take on a life of their own, while your mind can tend to less tactile things, like prayer. An encouragement (!) came from the tangible evidence of appropriate time in ministry - I always knew that those afghans, bedspreads, sweaters, and so forth had attached to them the various hours of prayer that attended my creating of them.

By the way, if you’re wondering if crochet isn’t . . . well, very manly. It was invented by sailors whose skill with knots was always crucial in the creation and repair of rigging, netting, and similar materials needed in the operation of a sailing ship. They taught their wives (those who had wives), and the women took the skill into the realm of fabrics, hangings, clothing, linens, etc.

I’ve crocheted baby blankets for my parishioners, and for all my grandchildren. Failing eyesight has slowed me down, but a daughter is now carrying her third child (my eighth grandchild), so I’ll just give myself more time to get that one done.

2 Likes

Surely, years later, as you see certain men and women walking in the truth, knowing that you had a great part in taking them by the hand and joining them to Christ, and watching their faith grow through fiery trials rather than be consumed, you can at some level praise God for a tangible product.

"For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? For you are our glory and joy. - 1 Thes. 2:19-20

“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” - 3 John 4

True, Jason, but what I was seeking was pride in my work—not joy or thanksgiving to God. Somehow, it’s hard to seek these things in spiritual work, and that’s good, I think. Anyhow, yes, the rewards have been seeing the people we have served walking with the Lord, and having children who do so, also. You’re very right. Love,

1 Like

Ever wondered what Apostle Paul would say abt Carl Trueman? Neither have I.

Poser-intellectuals bore me. Insights so preciously here & now. What I’m tired of. Trueman is a feminist rebel. Ventriloquist w/Aimee Byrd his mouthpiece.

Yawn. Westminster’s done w/him.

#falseshepherd

1 Like

Female Cyclist Quits over Transgender Policy | National Review Christians need to speak up. Always. Forevermore. God made us male or female, “from the beginning.” “Trans” have not transcended God’s creation. They remain male or female, so regardless of hormonal manipulation, it’s unfair for a man to compete against a woman. #maleORfemale

Pls pray for trial of Linfen Golden Lamp Church pastors/members in Linfen, Shanxi Province this coming Wednesday, March 29. Chinese govt has long persecuted this church. Pray for vindication of righteous. #goodshepherd

2 Likes

The doctrinal failures of Carl Trueman have been documented for many years. These are just the older ones: Search Results | BaylyBlog

1 Like

Audio of “The kindness of the Lord: a pastor’s life (17)” He looked me dead on: “How long do you think we’ll keep paying you if you keep preaching the way you are?” Warhorn Blog Posts | The kindness of the Lord: a pastor's life (17)

Pride & riches destroy churches. But yes, they pay their pastors well. Samuel Johnson: “It might as well be ‘He who drives fat oxen should himself be fat.’” In proud church w/proud pastor? Run for your life. #goodshepherd

What joy to preach to brothers/sisters in Taiwan, both Yilan County & Taipei. To teach pastoral students from Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, & many serving now in China. Gates of Hell shall not prevail. Students hungry for God’s Word. Pray for these faithful brothers/sisters.

Many churches would do well to change to unison singing. Discipline musical pride. Remember Bonhoeffer on this in “Life Together?” Kneeling or hands lifted in prayer, greeting one another w/holy kiss, and unison singing. Very spiritual disciples for the reformed. #goodshepherd

2 Likes

What is the nature of manhood?

Terrible losses at Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Nashville. Son Joseph’s former church. Three servants of Christ plus three children—including the senior pastor’s nine year old daughter. Let us pray for all of them. Nashville school shooting: 3 children, 3 adults killed at Covenant School; female shooter dead - CBS News

4 Likes