Background lectures on a Biblical Theology of Masculinity

Venerable Brethren et alia,

Our Five Aspects Ministries web site has recently been undergoing a major revamp. I write today to alert you to some resources in the revamped web site which we’re offering free of charge to any who are interested in them - 16 audio lectures that accompany our study course Five Aspects of Man. Each lecture is in MP3 format and is downloadable, or may be listened to via a conventional browser.

The Five Aspects of Man are Lord of the Earth, Husbandman, Savior, Sage, and Glory of God. The course examines each of these aspects as it was created, as the fall and curse impact it adversely, and as each aspect functions in the life of a man undergoing redemption - fifteen lessons in all.

For each lesson I’ve added a 30-minute lecture exploring collateral ideas and issues that will help the student tackle the textbook material. An introductory lecture covers concepts valid for the entire course. These lectures stand alone, independent of the textbook material, free of charge, 16 lectures in all.

You may access any of these lectures on this page of our website.

Best regards in Him to you all,

Fr. Bill Mouser

16 Likes

Dear Fr. Bill,

Thanks much for this! Looking forward to listening through these.

Love,

3 Likes

Yes, Thank You! We are also looking forward to hear these!

1 Like

Thank you so much for this. I am looking forward to going through these lectures soon.
Randy

Three other men and I have been working our way through “Five Aspects.” It’s been helpful as we’ve sought to apply who God has made us as men to our lives as husbands, fathers, churchmen, employees, etc. Thanks for the good work!

2 Likes

On Biblical Masculinity. Is there much in this material looking at the situation of single Christian men? I.e. who are not in an immediate position to marry.

If I might explain why I’ve asked … years ago, when I first attended a Promise Keepers’ rally in my own city, some 700 men turned up. I had gone to the rally in large part because it was offering a ‘breakout’ on the Saturday morning for the single men. The room ended up completely crowded; as the pastor organising it told me later, “We thought we’d get 45-50 guys along. We got over a hundred and twenty”.

I get it why you, and this site indeed, talk about masculinity in terms of being a husband and father, but not all Christian men are in this situation. Hence my question.

Ross,

I have been reading and following the site and podcast created by Michael Foster and @bnonn to address the subject of masculinity broadly enough to speak to husbands, fathers, and single men. I introduced a younger, single friend to the site and he’s said that he’s benefited greatly from it.

The site is called It’s Good to Be a Man. If he wishes, @bnonn can speak to it more specifically, but its general aim is to properly direct the thinking of men who might otherwise be (or may already have been) influenced by movements like the Red Pill and Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW).

Alastair Roberts has a good amount of content on his blog and Youtube channel, Alastair’s Adversaria. Doug Wilson and Toby Sumpter have an ever-deepening ocean of content available through various means in books, sermons, blogs, and podcasts; they have extensively addressed masculinity and manhood in both general and family contexts.

Note: If any of this (that is, referencing outside resources like these or any of these men in particular) violates community guidelines, I apologize.

3 Likes

There are no guidelines against it.

1 Like

Thanks, this is helpful. Appreciated.

Dear Ross,
My counsel would be to look to Job as an example of the kind of fatherhood every man must pursue:

Because I delivered the poor who cried for help,
And the orphan who had no helper.
The blessing of the one ready to perish came upon me,
And I made the widow’s heart sing for joy.
I put on righteousness, and it clothed me;
My justice was like a robe and a turban.
I was eyes to the blind
And feet to the lame.
I was a father to the needy,
And I investigated the case which I did not know.
I broke the jaws of the wicked
And snatched the prey from his teeth. - Job 29:12-17

A big part of righteous Job’s work was outside the bounds of his employment, family, and church relationships. It involved being strong on behalf of the weak and the fatherless, those outside. None of this is out of bounds to you. There’s an overwhelming amount of work to be done, and as men we all fall short of our responsibilities in these areas. May God bless you as, pursuing this work by faith, you become a father to the fatherless where you are.

Love,
Daniel

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply, acknowledged.