Avengers: Endgame, vigilantism, and bloodguilt

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

Isn’t this what the Crimson and Clover episode was about too? Likeable vigilante hero’s unaccountability brings him down?

4 Likes

Your powers of observation do you credit. :sunglasses:

Using fiction and nonfiction to make an identical point, just like That Hideous Strength and The Abolition of Man by Nathan’s favorite author, C.S. Lewis. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

So, I’ve never been on the leading edge of a WHM podcast release. I assume this will eventually be available on the subscription feed, right?

Aye yi yi. Yes. We decided to change hosts but got mixed up in the process.

1 Like

Thanks Joseph, all is right in the world again :smile:

I like the music too. Excellent choice!

But I wouldn’t say it reminds me of the 80’s. Rather, it gives me the expectation that you guys are going to review video games at some point…

2 Likes

I liked your analysis of Black Widow’s blood sacrifice, and how perverse the whole thing was. But you didn’t touch on how it made no sense. The condition for getting the soul stone is that the person getting it has to sacrifice the person they love most. But Clint didn’t sacrifice Black Widow; he did everything in his power to prevent her being sacrificed. The scene should have ended with a dead Black Widow, and Red Skull saying, “Man, I was clear about the terms of this trade. Go home fool.”

5 Likes

Good episode. And don’t worry, @nathanalberson, I totally forgive you. :slight_smile:

I checked the dialog in both movies. Clint (and Thanos) didn’t need to choose a sacrifice. A sacrifice had to be made. A soul had to be exchanged for the stone.

In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love.

Clint lost Natasha.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I liked @nathanalberson’s point about how we hate authority, which is what makes anti-heroes popular. They aren’t police officers or prosecutors, they are heroes of the people. They are not “the man.”

They “get the job done” by killing people, without being restrained by pesky things like civil rights. It is a very anarchist mentality.

1 Like

An interesting case study in the distinction between denotation and connotation. The language allows it, but the original scene with Thanos voluntarily giving his daughter plays toward the idea of a willing sacrifice.

1 Like