A Room with a View, Part 2

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

Hey guys,

I just finished listening to the episodes on “A Room with a View” and enjoyed them immensely. You made me laugh several times, as is often the case, and I thought that the new hero/villain/style segments were nice additions.

I appreciated your takes on the story, etc. and wanted to mention another work by Forster (which you may or may not have heard of) called Aspects of the Novel.

I thought of this book when Brandon suggested that Forster cares more about style than about character development and is more interested in theme than character (or equally interested in theme). I don’t know whether I’d agree or not, as I’ve seen most of the films but have only actually read Howard’s End. At any rate, I thought it relevant to mention that Forster was the one who coined the commonly-used labels of “flat” and “round” characters (in the above-referenced book, as a matter of fact).

Okay, so while I’m here, allow me to include a few other thoughts—you may do with them what you like!

As to pronunciation of author names and terms of foreign origin—I’m afraid I have to give you 1 star. Not to sound critical or nitpicky—but because you are all smart, classy dudes who like to be in the know—here goes:

a) pince nez = “pants nay”

b) Maugham = “Mom”

c) Forster = For-ster (not For-res-ter)

Apropos of this last, I made up a silly little Odgen Nash-inspired poem while walking down the street, listening to the podcast.

Nathan said that the book wasn’t boring, nor was it a chore to read, and something along these lines came into my head:

If you should read E.M. Forster,
You’ll find that he’s not a bore-ster;
To read him won’t be a chore-ster;
Just please don’t call him For-e-ster.

(Hee hee)

As for the Mozart hum-along at the end—5 stars! (especially Rondo Alla Turca).

Side note: I play piano, and for years had wanted to learn to play that piece. Finally I succeeded at learning it mentally (by heart), but—alas—my fingers wouldn’t quite cooperate (not dexterous enough). Oh well…I manage to stumble through it!

Anyway, thanks for all the great content you continue to put out into the world!

Your humble and obedient listener,

Anne (-:

8 Likes

This might be the best response to any podcast ever. Certainly the one with the best poem. I’m devastated to find out that pants nay is pronounced pants nay though.

1 Like

Wow, that Maugham pronunciation floored me. Had no idea.

Now do Evelyn Waugh.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s not quite “pants” like we would say it in English but that’s a decent approximation of the French pronunciation.