A Little Leaven website

https://afa.net/alittleleaven

I wanted to make you all aware of a resource I wrote for the American Family Association titled A Little Leaven: Confronting the Ideology of the Revoice Movement. It is a lengthy white paper critiquing the ideology and statements of the primary Revoice: Mark Yarhouse, Wesley Hill, Nate Collins, and Greg Johnson. It is intended to be an overview, critique, and exposé of the many falsehoods and errors promoted by the group and its proponents. It was written with the uninitiated in mind but it also goes in-depth if someone needs more detail about exactly what the Revoice leaders are saying.

I don’t know if the paper is fool’s errand or not but, providentially, it has been something I was compelled to do. It began in January of 2019 but, for multiple reasons, was not able to be completed until fall 2021 (quite late to the party, I know). I pray that those who need it will still be helped by it. There are many who have been slow to listen or understand. There are also many who are completely unaware. Perhaps it may be a wake up call to some.

I don’t expect it will be a revelation to many in this audience but I did want to make you aware of it. I don’t offer it as anything other than my own contribution to the already ample work that Warhorn has done speaking against this evil.

At the very least, because the statements of Revoice leaders are scattered across multiple platforms (print, events, blogs, articles, and social media) this work can serve as a bit of a reservoir of their positions. Also, because these men have a tendency to nuance their language differently depending on the audience and platform, having these sources together can be helpful. May the Lord use it as He sees fit.

10 Likes

https://theaquilareport.com/what-greg-johnson-wont-tell-you-about-double-repentance/
Posted for your edification and part of my ongoing effort to expose the numerous deceptions of the Revoice movement.

This time I am dealing with the specific ways Greg Johnson distorts Richard Lovelace’s 1978 book Homosexuality and the Church. That description may sound a bit “in the weeds” but Johnson has built his book around a certain Richard Lovelace quote.

From Zondervan’s marketing page:

Woven throughout the book will be Richard Lovelace’s 1978 call for a “double repentance” in which gay Christians repent of their homosexual sins and the church repents of its homophobia–putting on display for all the power of the gospel.

May God use it.

5 Likes

Superb piece, MD.

The discussion in the Aquila Report piece about “spiritual warfare” and even exorcism, quoting Lovelace, is an interesting one … not something we’ve talked about on this site or Baylyblog, AFAIK? In my time as a Pentecostal, I know ministers ministering to homosexuals who wanted out of the life would often have used an exorcism, “casting out the spirit of gayness”. That’s how seriously they took it; and maybe, just maybe, there’s something in what they were doing. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Disguised as a spirit of light.

Two profitable ways to look at this, I think.

1. The spirit of the age says we have been enlightened on sexuality, so we know that evil is good.

2. A disguise is a way to hide. If a spirit can disguise itself, it means that a spirit can hide. The fact that we can’t seem to find spirits today does not mean that they are gone. Much more likely that they are hiding.

2 Likes

Apologies. I conflated two verses. “Angel of light” is correct. Nevertheless, my point stands.

I had a chuckle over Johnson’s idea that 1978 was before the culture war. The culture war was raging in 1978, even if some folks were only just waking up to the news of it.

Historical illiteracy is rampant on all sides of the culture war, and it’s a real shame. Machen was barely a century ago, and that so many modern “evangelical” denominations seem determined to avoid his warnings is baffling to me (cf @aaron.prelock ’s post from earlier today). If you want to know where the Woke Church will lead you, you can just wander into a United Methodist, PCUSA or UCC church on a Sunday. If you can find one open, you won’t have any trouble finding a seat.

2 Likes