28 movies your family will LOVE!

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

You should listen to the whole episode!! But if you need a reference, here’s the list (up through 77 minutes):

Ben Sulser

1. It’s a Wonderful Life
  2. Christmas Carol - Alister Sim
  3. Sleeping Beauty
  4. Castle in the Sky
  5. Return to Oz
  6. The Good Dinosaur
  7. Wreck-It Ralph
  8. The Secret of NIMH
  9. Steamboat Bill Jr.

Nathan Alberson

1. Mary Poppins
  2. Night at the Opera (Marx brothers)
  3. Safety last
  4. Swingtime
  5. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
  6. White Christmas (he also mentioned the The Court Jester)
  7. Gunga Din (1939)
  8. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
  9. The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
  10. The Muppets

Jacob Mentzel

1. Mary Poppins
  2. E.T.
  3. The Iron Giant
  4. American Tail
  5. Sleeping Beauty
  6. Muppets Christmas Carol
  7. The Sound of Music
  8. My Neighbor Totoro
  9. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  10. Superman (Christopher Reeve)
5 Likes

Looking forward to this one.

3 Likes

No Wallace & Gromit?

4 Likes

An oversight to be sure.

1 Like

Great show, and so far not too good on my wallet.

1 Like

Very nice.

But The Good Dinosaur? Really?

I’ll take Wall-e.

2 Likes

I tracked with @bstormcrow and his love for Return to Oz and Secret of NIMH. I was just fascinated with those movies as a kid. Also for his choice of Castle in the Sky as his Ghibli pick.

Good lists.

2 Likes

Our family loves the 1960 Swiss Family Robinson. Hilarious, adventurous, kid friendly.

10 Likes

Old Yeller makes my list. Great movie about a boy becoming a man.

1 Like

If you want to traumatize him :joy:. But seriously I do love that movie. I’m not sure is my 5 year old is ready for it though.

2 Likes

Yes, Swiss Family Robinson has always been a favorite of mine. Love it. I’m taking our kids through a unit studying the basics, like how to make a fire, how to collect water, some basic survival stuff that no one wants to know anymore.

5 Likes

Appreciated the list, and had my own Top 10 to pitch, in chronological order:

The Sign of Zorro (1958) - great adventure, muted violence
Swiss Family Robinson (1960) - Couldn’t leave this off
Babes in Toyland (1961) - wacky and wonderful
Pollyanna (2003) - way better than the Disney version
Winnie the Pooh (2011) - maybe the best of the Pooh movies (or was it “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh”?)
Minuscule: valley of the lost ants (2014) - parents and kids can really enjoy different aspects
Beyond the Mask (2015) - one of the best Christian family films made
The Peanuts movie (2015) - genius
Swallows and Amazons (2016) - departs from the book to add more action but still good
Sgt. Stubby: an unlikely hero (2018) - Great World War I dog story

8 Likes

I support this list.

I bet half of my family’s movie rentals was this, mostly on videodisc. I didn’t realize it was that old. My dad probably watched it at the same age as me.

3 Likes

Yesss! Beyond the Mask is great.

RESOURCE: All parents should be aware of this. If you google imdb parents guide and then the movie, it will give you rankings of different objectionable material in the movie and then tell you exactly what it is. It is the best that @ummelheather and I have found for checking to see if movies are safe to watch. It has saved me from several “I watched this as a kid and loved it and you are going to lo…!!!..I forgot about that part” moments. Especially as I have older boys now that are wanting to watch “grown up” movies.

As for great family movies, I’ll toss Togo out there. I would say 8 year olds plus just due to the intensity of imminent death. I don’t have time to make a list right now. Maybe later.

Example of imdb parents review here

4 Likes

Good resource! They just need to add a “feminism/Marxism/woke category” :smile:

5 Likes

Not a movie, but my wife and I recently watched an Israeli TV show called Shtisel — about ultra Orthodox Jews. It’s a drama, so not my cup of tea but it was well done, the acting great. It also gives a glimpse into their day to day life.

1 Like

Intrigued! Would the show be appropriate for older children?

Great list, it’s good to have suggestions. I know it’s a cliche thing to do, but it really is a service – I have not seen most of these, and don’t have time to discover them.

Not sure why, but my kids can’t abide the muppets. I don’t get it.

Also, my kids were put off by the effeminacy of Danny Kaye.

I thought my kids should see Superman, The Movie, but it wore us all out. Super slow, non-compelling villian, unlikable Lois Lane. Reeves does the best Superman / Clark Kent ever, but I’m never watching that again.

2 Likes