143. Why we do what we do

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

2 Likes

Great show. Seriously, everyone should have the experience of driving to work listening to a podcast, and then find that the discussion is going to begin with some tweets of yours being read aloud. :slight_smile:

I really appreciate where you are coming from, but I wanted to offer a perspective on the value of saying obvious things.

I listed to you guys talk about Aladdin, and at some point, while mentioning the feminism therein, Nathan grudgingly mentioned that someone wanted him to make a point of saying what was bad about the feminism.

As I’m listening, since I’ve received good teaching on manhood and womanhood, I hadn’t been feeling that tension. I hadn’t felt that I needed anyone to justify the notion that one of the major downfalls of anything Disney (or anything Hollywood) would be feminist and that this is wicked.

But then a surprising thing happened when Nathan went on and said the obvious thing. He said something like “Because it is oppressive to women when we …” something something I can’t remember how the sentence ended. But he spoke a simple truth about the oppressive nature of feminism, and I was surprised to find myself strenghtened and encouraged by it.

Why is that? I might have said the same thing myself, but as a father that frequently talks about feminism with at twelve year old daughter, and that experiences it in every way in the workplace, my spirit was encouraged and hearing a simple truth not just alluded to, but explained in slightly more detail than was strictly necessary.

All this to say what Paul writes in Phil 3:1b: “For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe.”

Don’t underestimate the value of saying obvious things.

9 Likes