What does the music say?

:disappointed::weary:

Yes, that is what I meant by “bad music.” I do think particular arrangements can also be bad, objectively (Apostrophe by Schaeffer).

The part about standards is to emphasize they can transcend cultural expressions. Israel’s national anthem does sound very different from many others, but different and good/bad are distinct categories.

You are exactly right, Apostrophe does intend to convey a chaotic and nihilistic worldview. I think it is useful specifically because the worldview is so apparent from the composition itself. Musique Concrete, according to Francis Schaeffer (the much better Schaeffer), is intentionally meant to express a sort of existential worldview.

I agree with you that there is a certain elitism regarding comparing Bach and Bob Dylan. I simply want us as Christians to really spend some more time thinking about the standards of beauty and aesthetics. I think, culturally, we’ve been weak in this regard. I don’t merely mean weak in the sense of producing some bad art (certain Christian movies come to mind), but also in the sense of our underlying theology of beauty and aesthetics.

You certainly make sense. I don’t think simple equates to bad, though, especially as it relates to hymns to be sung by congregations.

1 Like