The Iconography of the Holy Eucharist

I here post a link to a video on Youtube, posted by my Archbishop, who recorded a presentation I made at the fall clericus conducted the first weekend of this month (Oct '19). It’s lengthy, but I think it has some themes and quotations in it that some of you may find interesting.

Possibly needed trigger warnings (in spite of Pr. Joseph’s judgment that there’s little in the video to trigger anyone here):

• The overall subject matter arises from broadly catholic (note the small “c”) sacramental theology of the Holy Eucharist, which is likely different from your own;
  • The context is a convocation of orthodox Anglican clergymen: the autumn clericus of the Orthodox Anglican Church. We hold two of these a year - one during Lent, one during the autumn;
  • My garb is de rigueur for these meetings: black cassock. Mine’s trimmed in red because of my office as the Archbishop’s Vicar General;
  • The locale is The Francesca Chapel where my parish worships, built in 1887.

Specifically, the entire talk answers the question Can a woman celebrate Holy Communion as a priest? Again, this precise question is not one which 99 percent of you will credit, as Reformed sacramental theology, especially surrounding the Supper, will not countenance a number of premises lying below that question. Nevertheless, as I lay out an answer to the question I touch on three concepts which should find some resonance in other areas of Reformed theology. And, because of that, I point to this lecture as a resource which you might find useful.

It’s organized into three sections:

• The iconography of sex
  • The iconography of male headship
  • The iconography of the Holy Eucharist

The answer to the question is “No,” which is not news to an orthodox Anglican (nor, for that matter, to any orthodox Protestant who still salutes catholic (note, again, the small “c”) sacramental theology of the Eucharist). But, the reasons for that answer are almost never in view when this question is asked. Hence, the lecture.

If interested, you may view the lecture here.

4 Likes