The Dickens poll

What has Lucas pointed out in other posts? I think I missed that. Do people claim Dickens is boring? I can see claiming all kinds of things, but that’s not one of them. And I could claim to agree on Russo/Duffer, but I’d be lying as I have no idea what you’re talking about. Am I still allowed to converse here?

Russo brothers and Duffer brothers are film/tv directors/writers. The Duffers did Stranger Things. I think Russos did some work on Avengers but I don’t know which ones. I guess they draw things out. I haven’t seen many Avengers films so I can’t comment there. I generally enjoyed Stranger Things. Esp season 1.

I don’t know that the implication is that Dickens is boring so much as he is simply quite verbose. Some of his prose is perhaps too drawn out for some of us with short attention spans.

I’m pretty sure he was referring to how wicked Dickens was. In particular to his wife. This was one of the posts Lucas had about his changing opinions towards him:

1 Like

I’m reading between the lines, and so I may be making some generalizations, but when people complain about his wordiness being the issue, I take that to mean they get bored by his prose, despite how interesting his stories might be. I definitely think this is a fair representation of the complaints early on in this thread (Prozac, etc.).

By Russo/Duffers, I just mean very popular modern storytellers. Dickens was a big deal, like them, when he was writing his novels.

And yes, to Joseph’s response. Dickens was wicked, and this sours his novels – especially David Copperfield, that draws directly from some of this history and tries to excuse it.

1 Like

That’s why you’re never supposed to learn about great authors and their personal lives, it ruins all of them!!

2 Likes

I agree with @jtbayly I’ve only read A Christmas Carol and A Tale of Two Cities. We have a DVD on the story behind A Christmas Carol as well as A Christmas Carol movie.