Quarantine, worship, and the Lord's supper...

For what it’s worth (and for the sake of general information on this topic) . . .

Orthodox Anglicans recognize any baptism done with water (nothing else; it must be water applied in some fashion to the one baptized), and with a Trinitarian formula. The rite could be done in any other mere Christian communion.

The question that Anglican pastors have with new people showing up from other Christian communions is whether or not the rite was performed as specified above. Sometimes the person doesn’t know, or is so vague about whether or not he was ever baptized that real doubt ensues.

In such a case, with the bishop’s express permission, a “conditional baptism” is administered. It’s exactly the same rite as an ordinary baptism, except when the water is poured on the person’s head, the priest says, “If thou art not already baptized, I baptize thee in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.”

Like most other Christian communions, Anglicans believe that baptism is done once, that it is effective for its purpose only once. Repeated administrations of the rite do nothing other than to get someone wet in a religious context.

3 Likes

There are those who love to get rebaptized in the Jordan. It’s a whole industry. From what I can tell, it’s one of the highlights of some people’s vacation.

I heard on preacher T.V. this week: There is only one baptism, but lots of refreshes. Or something like that, repeated over and over. They were also selling miracle spring water, for other purposes.

1 Like

I guess I don’t understand why you would waste miracle spring water just on curing your cancer if you could also use it at the same time to get baptized.

I bet they only sell serving sizes of one.

2 Likes