Name that feminist

Here is a quote from somebody that obviously doesn’t understand the sinful nature of womankind. Who do you think said it?

For it is certain that if the husband behaves himself discreetly and with equity, the wife will submit to him, and our Lord will so dispose her heart that the household will be peaceable.

Let’s make it multiple choice to simplify things. Vote to see who everybody else guessed. Don’t cheat. Just vote and then scroll down for the answer and discussion.

• John Bunyan
  • Jonathan Edwards
  • John Paul II
  • John Calvin
  • John Knox
  • John Newton
  • John Wesley
0 voters
1 Like

OK, I boldly voted. Where’s the answer?

The answer is…

Spoiler

John Calvin

in his sermon on Ephesians 5:22-26. I would encourage you to read the whole thing.

Below are some more quotes from the sermon to serve as teasers to get you to read it.

Apparently the complaints about husbands and wives haven’t changed much in the last half a millennia.

[I]t is certain that we shall always find enough excuses… The husband may plead, I have a dreadful and stubborn wife; or else she is proud, or has a wicked head, or else is too talkative. Again, another perhaps is a drunkard, another is idle, and another of some other disposition. In short, there is no man who may not have some show of reason, if he does not keep the faithfulness and honor of marriage, as becomes him. The wife also for her part will not be without stock of excuses. For often her husband may be irritable and quarrelsome, with little regard to what God has called them to. Some are niggardly and frequenters of taverns, or else act like spendthrifts in gaming and other dissolute practices. Some are whoremongers, some gluttons, and some drunkards. And so every woman might pretend some excuse to exempt herself from her duty. But when we come to God, we are bound to hang down our heads, for it will profit us nothing to be insolent towards Him.

Although the men misbehave themselves on the one hand, and the women on the other, yet God will not have the marriage to be broken or dissolved thereby, except (I say) in the case of the divorce of which our Lord Jesus speaks. But the vices that are in a man must not hinder the wife’s subjection and obedience to him. Again, though the wife may not be found such as she ought to be, yet the husband may not put her away and wash his hands of her, no matter what excuse he pleads. But God’s ordinance must always stand firm, and the bond we have by his Word must be indissoluble, as is said. That is what we have to remember from this passage.

Blaming woman for the fall!!!..

the ruin and confusion of the whole human race came in on [women’s] side, so that we are all lost and cursed and banished from the kingdom of heaven—when women (I say) understand that all this came from Eve and the feminine sex…

He’s such a typical 21st century feminist:

for [husbands’] authority should rather be a companionship than a kingship. For there is no question that the husband is not his wife’s head to oppress her or to make no account of her. But let him understand that the authority he has puts him so much the more under obligation to her.

And his advice on how to deal with a terrible wife is just to blame the man. What an idiot.

And in passing we have to note further that although husbands be unyielding and wives difficult to rule, and indeed utterly incorrigible, yet that is not to release either husbands or wives from doing their duty. For example, it may be that a husband could say that he had a sweet and tractable wife (as I touched on before); he for his part could bear with her, and she would have with him a wonderfully good time. But perhaps another man will say that his wife is a drunkard or a glutton, and still another that his wife is given to gaudiness and extravagance, so that all she can lay hands on goes to dress and adorn herself; and yet another, that his wife is idle and will do nothing. Well, these things may have some substance before men. Indeed (as I said before) if the matter concerned only the two parties themselves, each of them might have their defense at hand, to throw off the yoke altogether But the husband must think in that case: I have an ill-disposed wife, one who is thick-headed, or one who has neither agreeable qualities nor any care at all of her household; on my side how am I to conduct myself, not only in these world affairs but also towards God?

Now when the husband has well considered and examined his own faults thoroughly, he will hold his peace, and patiently bear with his wife’s faults, until God give her the grace to correct them. And meanwhile, whatever happens, let him not cease to act like a husband in apply himself to his wife’s interests, to win her to God.

On women plotting prior to marriage to not really be under their husband’s authority:

Now the women, on their side, harden themselves for the most part. And when they are to marry, they never give attention to the things that God shows and teaches thereby His word. Hardly shall a person find one among a hundred who prays to God when it is a question of entering upon marriage. It is true that they hear it said all enough that the husband must be the head. Very well (they say), it is true that when I have a husband, he will be above me, for so is the fashion of the world and I must stand by it. But at the same time there will be such presumption, or rather devilish arrogance in them, that they could find in their hearts to pluck God out of His seat, and they would wish to erase that which we are now reading, to the end that they might not be subject to it. And they plot among themselves, saying, Oh, I warrant I will hold my own, and if my husband behaves dreadfully to me, I shall show him that I do not care what he does. After I have held out against him for a few days he will find that he is wasting his time, and then he will have to give up his game and leave me alone. In this way (I say) women begin to enter into being housewives, so that a man shall scarcely find one among a hundred who is not of that mind and does not come to such a conclusion.

1 Like

Sorry I set the poll window so short. Now that people are voting I can’t extend the poll.

I arrived late, but I would have voted Wesley just because I feel obliged to attribute as much bad to him as I can, as he is the sworn enemy of every true Calvinist.

I may be kidding.

1 Like

I suggest this edit: “For it is [more likely] that if the husband behaves himself discreetly and with equity, the wife will submit to him, and our Lord will so dispose her heart that the household will be peaceable.”

Of course the wife will still be a sinner, but to relieve her of the tremendous temptation that husbandly foolishness presents will allow her to be much less inclined to wifely foolishness. And yes, vice versa, but he should take the lead in the unfoolishness department. I’m convinced that my mother’s failures would have had much less disastrous consequences if she hadn’t been reacting to my father’s failures, that she really would have had a heart disposed to making a peaceable household.

3 Likes