I've converted to Roman Catholicism

New Warhorn Media post by Tim Bayly:

3 Likes

WAY TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK THIS MORNING, TIM!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

(Yes, the body of this post is a complete sentence, but thanks for making me ruin the rhetorical effect by having to add this in order to post it. :roll_eyes:)

6 Likes

Chuckling I is, dear Valerie.

1 Like

I feel this way as a convert to the Lutheran church from a Reformed Baptist upbringing. :slight_smile: Nice essay.

1 Like

Is it just the kneeling and good preaching? Is there a list somewhere of the distinctives of a classically reformed church? The new 9 Marks?

Edit: I guess that is what church reformed is about.

1 Like

Good post-- you’re quite right. A lot of people think converting to Roman Catholicim, or, better yet, Eastern Orthodoxy, is less of a stretch than adding backbone to their Protestantism. Plus, they can feel like they’re being bolder at the same time, because they’re offending evangelical social norms, even tho they’re totally avoiding offending any worldly elite social norm like they would if they criticized divorce or homosexuality or said some people are damned.

4 Likes

How does one not loose their love for Christ’s church in the midst of so much cowardice and pretentious sophistication? Gotta say I’m struggling with that. And don’t mistake me as saying I’m loosing hope or faith. I’m just struggling even seeing the bride these days.

A ruturn to the old 3 Marks would go a long, long way.

6 Likes

'Twas ever thus. A comedian called Lenny Bruce once observed, “Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God”. This is not a view I own, I hasten to add - because if we are Christians, we are the church - but, as was observed in the seventeenth century, ecclesia reformata, semper reformanda; and I wonder if many of our problems now can be traced back to the complacency of an earlier age.

Very grateful for you, Pastor Tim. You’re example of preaching to the conscience has had a very helpful influence on me and is a benefit to those I’m called to shepherd. Thank you.

7 Likes