Is the "right to privacy" even a thing?

Thanks for this, Jason. It’s a good reminder.

Love,

2 Likes

VPNs that are run by a company, I think, can just as easily get the old knock on the door from the man.

Brave has a Tor mode which is pretty good, but I think you’re right.

“Even I get boarded sometimes. You think I had a choice?” :smiley:

3 Likes

Apple has demonstrated their willingness to do this over the last year, so I think the answer is clear. Why is it in their interest? Because they saw the backlash against data collection and lack of privacy forming, and they were in a particularly good place to capitalize on that since they weren’t very dependent on ad dollars, unlike FB and Google.

Apple has also demonstrated their willingness to make design decisions that the FBI hates. Some influential elements of the tech world have always been willing to fight the government on encryption. I see Apple in a similar place at this point. I’m not denying that they will always give what they can give when it is requested, of course. And they haven’t gone as far as they could (and should) in my mind. For example, with iCloud backups not being encrypted, your end-to-end encrypted iMessages are still accessible to Apple if either you or the people you converse with are using iCloud. This, I think, was a concession to the FBI.

5 Likes