I'm ready to boycott modern entertainment

Neil Postman, who was a non-Christian so far as I know, made an interesting point in the opening chapters of Amusing Ourselves To Death. He analyzed the Second Commandment and its implications for how we learn and how that shapes our culture. It was amazingly perceptive, worthy of the best of the Puritans really.

Having information mediated to you through images really is very different than getting that same information through text or speech or rational argument. The pendulum for us has swung so far toward the images side that we don’t have the foggiest clue of how we are affected by it.

I’m not prepared to tell people to just stop watching movies or videos or TV altogether. I’m not prepared to do it myself. We should reflect on how different mediums form us.

2 Likes

This guy’s favorite movie is Eyes Wide Shut, an incredibly depraved film. He’s been searching for the same experience for years. Of course he’s coming up empty. I was too when I was like him. Sin is boring. If he repented he might enjoy movies again. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Will Sanity at the Movies begin to draw the line for Marvel at Black Widow? Are you three planning to watch it? Can you just say no to that one?

2 Likes

We have no interest in watching it for entertainment. Maybe we will just to keep a figure on the pulse of the corpse.

3 Likes

Loor has started filming their first show. https://twitter.com/WatchLoor/status/1412805943188889600?s=20

1 Like