Flags in the church

I don’t believe I’ve ever been part of a church where the flag was present. The church I’m at now did in years past, then moved to bring it out only on Lord’s Day’s closest to patriotic holidays to not at all. Without any fight or even nary a question.

I’m glad for this. But, I now wonder if we need to bring out the flag again (though I’m like Ben…in principle against) because of the pretentious anti-patriotism of many. It was once “cool” in evangelical circles to be patriotic but not anymore.

I’m not in a cool church and so patriotism is still seen as a good virtue sometimes bordering on idolatry. I see this as a good thing. I’d rather have to deal with pastoring a man with a backbone who loves his country to access than pastor a church of sea-sponges who are figuring out a way to vote for Biden and maintain a good conscience.

3 Likes

@MartinB, our Shepherds’ Conference will be at Trinity Reformed Church on February 17 & 18. Evangel Presbytery will be meeting on Feb. 19; all conference attendees are encouraged to stay for the meeting.

4 Likes

I’ve never attended a church that didn’t have a flag in the sanctuary.

But I wonder if it’s not wisest to just determine whether or not a flag is right and proper in the sanctuary of God (I believe it’s not, but obviously, since I’ve never attended one that didn’t, it’s not something I’ll get in a fight over), rather than to set our sails and determine our decorations based on what the other guys are doing. That seems a bad way find a wise path. Sort of a perverse version of the blind leading the blind. And living a ministering my entire life among that mentality, while I’m sure has strengths…I can tell you it also has weaknesses.

2 Likes