COVID-19: it's not about face masks, actually

Yeah, I don’t think that’s a strange observation at all. You have the weigh what’s actually going on in front of you, and your analysis is helpful.

From the beginning of the crisis, I’ve observed that civil authorities have behaved like smothering mothers rather than wise fathers. “Strong recommendation” as opposed to “order” is a form of guilt manipulation. It’s the stereotypical Jewish-mother routine. Rather than a straightforward command followed by a reward or punishment, you get a bunch of vague passive aggressiveness. At that point, you as the individual are left with the decision of how to interpret and obey.

The hyper-focus on safety alone, with no rational weighing of risks, is also a hallmark of the new smothering mother state. It’s ugly, undignified and embarrassing. Where are our fathers?

While we deliberate masks, riots continue across the country in major cities. That seems inconsistent, but if you think of our civil authorities as smothering mothers, maybe it isnt so inconsistent. Mull that one over.

As civil authorities cease to be fathers and become instead smothering mothers, the foundations of law and order start cracking and sinking. Public confidence and respect for authority declines. What comes next? Frightening stuff.

3 Likes

I have a contrary opinion to this. Authorities damage their credibility and tempt their subordinates to rebellion when they make rules that aren’t well-supported by good need, or when they change their minds, or when they outright lie.

To the mask point specifically, the CDC lied to us all back in March/April when they told us “masks aren’t needed.” This was easily recognizable as a lie when they said it, and it damaged the credibility of all authorities regarding masks when they did it. That didn’t happen a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away: it’s the immediate context for any mask mandate coming out right now.

Additionally, this is a highly fluid situation where we don’t know what we don’t know. Are masks helpful from a public health standpoint? This seems reasonable, and there’s some evidence for it. But it’s hardly incontrovertible. Others have pointed out the numerous situations that individuals may have that may make masks a bad idea. Should those people be required to acquire licenses from the state like concealed weapons permits or disability license plates before they are allowed to go about unmasked? That seems all out-of-proportion to the question at hand.

So what is a magistrate to do? Issue a mask “mandate” with 1000 exceptions that can’t be validated or enforced around? And that might need to be walked back the same way the “don’t wear masks” recommendation was walked back just a few months ago? Or look at the totality of the situation and tell people, “here’s our strong recommendation”? If I were a governor, I’d push for the latter.

There are other situations in the current crisis that I’d probably fall closer on the side of mandates: for states with big outbreaks, I’d probably close bars and gyms, at least indoor ones. Fail to comply? Get a ticket.

But issuing “mandates” without enforcement is foolishness for a father and for a county commissioner.

3 Likes

Great points. I’m still inclined to say that there is a high likelihood of cowardice as a major component, though.

2 Likes

It’s hard to rule out cowardice as a motive in 2020 America, but authorities certainly weren’t slow to close our businesses and tell us all to stay at home, often with specific penalties from the police.

2 Likes