Christian Nationalism

I’ve tried to ignore this insult/concept/movement the last couple years, but have been reading more about it this week. I’m really dismayed it’s gained traction. There are so many things wrong with it, but if I had to pick one to highlight, it’s how it claims loving your neighbor and living as husband and wife is support for a particular vision of a Christian national government. That is a lie that was invented by people opposed to Christian morality, to discredit it. Why are we now writing books convincing ourselves of it? I hope it stops clouding our thoughts soon.

If the book is useful, I’m happy to hear it.

I don’t know. I just find the whole thing laughable. The problem with the PCA is that the men drink vegetable oil?

The problem is the women? This is like 90% regurgitated red-pill self-help curriculum. Sure, plenty of the observations are true. The solutions are what I find absurd. What I kept trying to say to a friend about red pill guys holds here as well. He isn’t nearly patriarchal enough in his thinking (from these quotes, anyway). I wish these guys would take a lesson from 1 Kings. Jezebel was awful. Ahab was worse if only for letting her do what she did.

4 Likes

I think you’re right, should go after Ahab, but also Jezebel. Like Knox went after his queen. I think that’s the real issue here. I haven’t seen DeYoung denounce any such female magistrates. And if someone did, I imagine he’d call them too redpilled.

Deyoung wants to call it “worrisome” or whatever, but let’s see Deyoung pull a Knox.

4 Likes

Well, I won’t claim to speak for the author here, but it’s hard to argue against the claim that one of the things wrong with the American church is a general lack of health.

5 Likes

I kind of half listened to the podcast. Was thinking about getting together a couple men who haven’t heard it and doing a critique of it. Lol

I read the book. I think the conclusions are Westminster confession. It’s classical two kingdom theology. Some of the speculative theology appears rational. A good defense of authority prior to the fall. But the real point is defending the existence of nations.

I would critique some of the dualism and in particular any dualism that would sideline the roll of the church.

I do agree with Pastor Tim that the biggest problem with a book like this isn’t the content but that it misses the solution of our problem being that we must preach the moral law of God and the gospel. There can be no Christian town let alone a nation without the gospel going forth.

8 Likes

Finally someone listening the way we meant them to listen!

9 Likes

Coming back to this thread after more of a chance to think about things: is there more to be learnt from looking at Jeremiah 29 again, this time paying attention to its context, and seeing what it might have to say to us?

1 Like