Bronze Age Battle Cry????

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

1 Like

Hey guys,

Thank you for this thoughtful podcast. Very good and helpful in dealing with what will probably continue to be viral content for a while. I have read the book and largely agree with this take.

However, I did want to make a few notes on why this book is still interesting to me as a Christian.

• First, this guy is the only person I have read outside abstruse academic Christian circles to even touch teleology. Young Earth Creationists have focused so much on irreducible complexity that they have ignored one of our greatest apologetic weapons–and one that everybody knew about until 200 years ago.
  • Second, he’s one of the few guys I know who advocates that men be masculine by being able to survive in red-light districts. I definitely don’t want to do that, but I wish that in all the teaching on masculinity there was more about the issue of surviving in unpredictable environments.
  • Finally, he’s absolutely devastatingly correct on the conservative movement in America. I have spent much of my adult life hearing conservative writers and thinkers offer failed strategies. To take just one example, we are still often told that voting matters. Voting does not matter. Your vote is probably a waste of time. If you are in a small town in America you are one in five thousand votes, so whatever you do, your vote is like a drop in the ocean. Furthermore, at the moment I think that democracy is a failed government and is a key part of our slide into liberalism over the last few centuries, so the whole system is a sham. By contrast, at the end of the book bronze age pervert offers a strategy which is actually pretty good: start a boy scout troop. You’ll do way more politically that way than in a million votes. Put another way, you said people will see him as the guru who is like the greatest philosopher who ever lived. True, he’s not even close to that. But he’s way better than Jonah Goldberg, William F. Buckley, Thomas Sowell, Russel Kirk, or any of the Daily Wire folk. I obviously want to live my life like those guys and be responsible and actually um respect women. But man I want to read Bronze Age Mindset more than all those writers who simply tell people what they want to hear.

I know that may sound like bobbing for apples in the toilet bowl, and that’s fair. BAP apparently put up a lot of nasty pictures on his twitter feed and I find that disgusting. But I did want to express some of the other issues in play.

Anyway, hope that helps,
Brian Marr

4 Likes

Joe Sobran used to say that if voting did anything, they’d make it illegal.

8 Likes

Thanks for the episode. I have several friends who have read and recommended BAP. I’ve felt uneasy about reading him. I will continue to avoid him.

1 Like