BLM and police violence

This is all helpful. As any of you come across good resources please continue to list them. I’ve received recommendations from Bethany (adoption agency) but found their list to be suspect. Two of the books from that list that I had immediately available were Barack Obama’s book and another one that comes strongly endorsed by Rachel Evans. In addition several of the training sessions were led by people very much pushing the concepts of systemic racism, white privilege, being ‘anti-racist’ (specific meaning) etc. I don’t have a good foundational understanding of the issues yet to interact with that sort of material well. We adopted a black daughter and are hoping to adopt again. She’s only one, but I want to be prepared to have these sorts of conversations.

3 Likes

The seeds of that nonsense were already a small tree when we adopted 10 (and 5) years ago. I’m sure it’s only gotten worse since then. I had a conversation with my older (Ethiopian) son after reading this thread. Adoption is already hard. Throwing race into the mix only makes it harder. Praying for all the adoptive parents and children.

10 Likes

We adopted long before any of the current ideas/lingo were much of anything (though, from what I understand, the major driver’s behind critical theory met in Madison, WI in the late 80’s). So, none of this was anything for us. Except when we lived in NC in the early 2000’s. Race was still quite a thing there. Blacks and whites went to separate churches. Interracial marriage frowned upon. We had a tough time of it…mainly in finding a church.

But, with George Floyd’s death, our relationships with our older sons who are from Kenya changed over night. May God have mercy.

6 Likes

I don’t know if I’d count him as a negro prophet, but Marcellus Wiley consistently impresses me. I haven’t followed him for long, but what I find refreshing about him is that he talks and acts confidently. He’s not bothered by the haters, and he doesn’t remotely have a chip on his shoulder.

Another good one: https://twitter.com/marcelluswiley/status/1302022188430548993?s=20

2 Likes

Jason Whitlock is another media figure that has a lot of good things to say on this subject.