Bayly's daily

No fan of Putin, but never in favor of our proxy war w/Russia through Ukraine. Read life of Zelinsky. Read abt Ukraine’s corruption, historically. Read history of Russia and Ukraine. So now Abrams and F-16s? Sheer madness. #sayno2AmericanEmpire

1 Like

I agree. Panmil

The Good Shepherd preached the Kingdom of God!

PCA Hall of Infamy over 35,000 views, now, and not one of the men has retracted his protest PCA Revoice hall of infamy: pastors/elders who protested Pastor Warhurst - Warhorn Media

1 Like

Audio of Warhorn Media post, “The peaceable discipline of presbyterian polity” (how submission to my fellow presbyters worked meekness in me)

Audio No. 7 of “Abortion & the Church”
“Based on the reporting of The Lancet that abortions worldwide have increased to 0.98 of current world population per year, by 2027, the total number of little ones slaughtered after surviving to implantation will be greater than 2 billion.”

Genocide.

Audio of Warhorn Media post, “Melchizedek and Jesus” by Pastor Alex McNeilly of Christ Church, Cincinnati. The post opens up the significance of Melchizedek in Hebrews 6 & 7

Modern scholars refusing to translate “malakoi” (lit. “soft men”) with the English “effeminates” (as it’s been translated for many centuries) need to answer this simple question: "Are you saying the sin of both the ‘malakoi’ and ‘arsenokoitai’ is merely sodomitic intercourse? Not any behavior?

Checkmate.

1 Like

What is “soft” behavior? Is “softness” a universal or does it vary with culture?

Here’s a conversation I had a week ago with a fellow older Gen-Xer about the younger generation.

Me: “Some Millennial men I meet these days talk in such a way that back in the day I would have thought that they were… err…”

Him: “Not straight?”

Me: “Yeah. But they are married and have children. I don’t get it.”

I’ve heard this manner of talk mainly among professional-class younger men, and I wonder if they’ve been feminized through many years of education. But is my perception a fair assessment, or am I judging by the worldly standards of my own generation?

6 Likes

@Joel
Agreed. I think a better rendering of the word malakoi, in this context, would be “unmanly”. As to why:

• In modern popular use of the word, “effeminate” means, basically, ‘camp’. The thing is that some camp men are straight, and many gay men are not camp.
  • Tim is regularly taking men to task for being ‘soft men’, although they are not effeminate, in that current sense of the word, and homosexual vice isn’t really the issue either.
  • So it seems to me that a term which represents that would be helpful. Hence, ‘unmanly’, which covers much more than homosexual or even ‘camp’ behaviour, and would, I think, speak to the situation of the Millenials which you mentioned - that is, they might well have wife and children, but they are not really being manly men in the way they should be, and it was time for them to “Man Up”.

Thots?

@Hobbit
The context in which I’ve previously heard “Man Up” used is when some action requiring manly fortitude was required. But as long as you didn’t hear these men speak, there would be no reason to think that they needed to “Man Up” in any area of their lives. What I have in mind is a manner of talking and tone of voice that comes off as characteristically feminine. But it’s not camp, as I understand the meaning of camp.

Thanks for your explanation. “Out of the abundance of the heart” and all that.

IDK, the word “effeminate” was killed deliberately, and not b/c sodomites ruined it, but b/c Christians stopped repenting of it. It wasn’t that “camp” grew in weight of connotations, but that “softness” declined. And it declined as a pejorative connotation precisely because Western man dove into effeminacy (soft-manism) whole-hog.

So to avoid repenting of effeminacy while also avoiding offending the weaker sex by using a word perfectly suited to male softness, namely “effeminacy,” the word was assaulted and is now on life support. Realize that lesbians and feminists hated the word too because it communicated clearly that femininity is inappropriate for manhood, and this they interpreted as a diss of real femininity. (They said this to me decades ago.)

Also, “unmanly” doesn’t have much connotation of the principle meaning, which is “softness.” Soft gestures. Soft voices. Soft clothing. Soft skin. Soft faces (beardless). Or anything else that all cultures have always loved about femininity. Which is always softness. Take breasts, for instance…

My basic premise is that we ought to resurrect words the rebels have killed as an integral part of their evil projects. Can’t strange use of words confess the Christian faith, and teach it? Take the male inclusive, for instance; everyone has given it up because the rebels hated it and made it one of the worst linguistic crimes of our time. Then, wanting to be nice, Christians gave it up, too. So now, virtually no one (present company included) except me (smile) ever uses the male inclusive—particularly that name God gave the race, “adam” or “man.” Every last person Christian or otherwise says “person” or “human” and “humankind.”

Why not restore such words so Christians actually confess our faith publicly?

My thinking, for what it’s worth. Love,

PS: Maybe this is a case where we should add to the hundreds of Hebrew and Greek words of Scripture that we’ve already transliterated to English? Simply say “malakos” and

3 Likes

Indeed. One I regularly resurrect and use is the word patriarchy. I especially use this word with modern effeminate or culture-submissive Christians, and if they blanch or object, I begin to point out how patriarchal the Bible is from cover to cover. I even point out that the God they purport to worship is an Eternal Patriarchy Himself.

Which is why I never miss an opportunity to use the inclusive masculine. Cranky old coot I may be, but there it is - in the Bible, in modern English in spite of the style books its entirely comprehensible and recognizable even by feminists and squishy Christians.

Nope. Not moi. Nopety nope nope.

I loathe those terms person or human or humankind in place of man or mankind, and my prose shows it. Besides, as you said, it often opens doors for conversation.

3 Likes

Soon after moving into the parish manse next door to First Presbyterian, I was playing with the kids in the yard when a baby blue Camaro pulled into the driveway. There was a young blonde in the passenger seat, a scruffy dude behind the wheel, and a pair of large velvet dice hanging from the rearview mirror. They stopped near me and the passenger window went down

1 Like

We used to have personnel departments in companies. What would the alternative be? The department of man?

2 Likes

This conversation brings to mind the scan of the author’s favorite resume from What Color is Your Parachute?. It’s also one of my favorites. In addition to being clear and effective, it repudiates so much about modern corporate culture and behavior. I wonder if the publisher still lets the example be included in recent editions.

1 Like

Thanks - your comments have shed some light on the matter for me.

1 Like

Dear Fr. Bill,

This is my profile pic on Gab. Taken when Mary Lee and I were vacationing in Cape May. Wish you and Barbara had been with us. Growing up in Philly, Cape May has always been close to my heart. Love, PS: Did you miss the boat’s name?

When I need “every two weeks,” I go with “semi weekly.”

Did you marry them? Is this a cliffhanger for the next part? I’m really hoping the best for those kids.

1 Like